Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote database creation error

Remote database creation error

I've recently started getting a "Cannot open backup device (file path)" error when attempting to create remote databases in Act, it's complicated byt he fact that the field to show the file path at the end of the remote database creation process is too small to display the full path so I can't actually be sure what it's erroring out on. So far i've tried dismounting/remounting the database and running the database maintenance check and repair, as well as creating new sync sets. No change and it still does it for every user.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Remote database creation error

Hi there

A little more information would be helpful.  What version of ACT are you running?  And what is the OS of the machine that houses your ACT database?

Could you also navigate in windows explorer to the folder location that contains your ACT database, .PAD, .ALF and ADF files.  Take a look at the "yourdatabasename.ALF"  and see what size it is listed as.  Generally this file shouldn't be very large, as its a log file.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

It's ACT! Premium 2012, running on Server 2008 R2, the .alf file is currently at 134 megabytes.
Copper Elite Contributor

Ok, the size of the ALF seems fine.

I assume that you already have some remote databases working, that were created previously?

I've seen this issue once before, but it was on a corrupted database that had massive errors and a huge ALF file.  We had to rebuild the database, starting with a save empty copy.  It was a rather time consuming process.

Can you create a new test database and then see if you can create a remote database for the new test database?

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
Copper Elite Contributor

You may also want to take a look at this article:

Error creating remote database

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
Bronze Elite Contributor

Had this and the article here solved the problem

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20196/related/1

I tried recreating the System and Assemblies folder as detailed in the link Cherie posted, that got rid of the error, but now it just freezes with the progress bar at about 90% full at packaging remote database, left it sitting for a few hours and no errors, just no progress. As to Ch1ps suggestion I double checked and the database is not shared and I have full admin rights Smiley Sad