Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Syncing will not work with Firewall Enabled

Copper Super Contributor

Remote Syncing will not work with Firewall Enabled

Sage ACT! Premium 2011

4 remotes

Server is on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Remotes are on Vista Home Premium, Windows 7 Home Premium.

All sync when server firewall is off.  None sync when firewall is on.

Using Windows Firewall.  Router firewall is disabled.

Have put in all the exceptions imaginable - ports, programs, folders.

Database is shared. No multiple shares.

All protocols enabled.

File and Print Sharing enabled and in firewall exceptions.

Checked permissions on all folders.

Have put in all exceptions in AVG Antivirus.

Telnet on port 65100 from remote indicates firewall blocking.

Have restarted SQL and Network Sync Service...several times.

Have disabled and enabled firewall/antivirus in varying configurations.  Just can't get it to work when client has firewall/antivirus active and server has firewall/antivirus active.  I can disable just the server firewall and it syncs with no problem.

Have gone to all the knowledgebase articles on syncing.  Have look at Microsoft SQL articles.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remote Syncing will not work with Firewall Enabled

Yes turn off the server firewall. You have a router and don't need the server firewall. Check this.

Here is the link.

http://ask-leo.com/does_my_router_have_a_firewall_or_not.html

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

I find sometimes that ACT! doesn't put the proper entrees in the Firewall exception list.  Here's a link to the KB article that explains how.  From your detailed troubleshooting explanation, I suspect if you check the exception list on the Server Firewall, you'll find that Network Sync Port 65100 wasn't added (assuming you left it at the factory default)  - the kb article explains how add it.

I must say I run into this fairly often.

Signature

So, it works if all antivirus active (client and server) and firewall active on client, but not server

Then, it should be the Inbound Rule for the sync service (telnet confirms this) ... make sure the Advanced tab has all three ticked (domain, private and public)

BTW Roy: I disagree that servers don't need FW... ok for home networks - but for office, you want protection against user downloads/hacks

BTW Kevin: You forgot the link :-)
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for all the replies.

1. The router firewall being turned off is their IT consultant's choice.  I don't typically make those kinds of changes to a client's system.  I will enable the firewall on their router, disable Windows firewall, and see if it works and then let them/their IT consultant decide if that's what they want to do.

2. 65100 is in the exception list - inbound and outbound - domain, private, and public

3. Network sync service is in the exception list - inbound and outbound - domain, private, and public

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com

So, it works when everything else is running ... but server firewall is off - client firewalls on and av on all.

Can you confirm that ... so you know it's just the one component that's breaking it

Copper Super Contributor

Yes, I tested several different configurations of firewall/AV on/off on client and server.  All combinations work except with the server firewall on.  I have it narrowed down to the server firewall.

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com

You'd think by now Sage would have gotten their software to modify the Windows Firewall so this works out of the box; or published a script to do the same (not a complicated task).  Or, at a minimum, updated their KB to reflect the settings for the Windows 7 / Server 2008 firewall instead of or in addition to the XP/Server 2003 firewall settings.

You certainly can just disable the firewall.   And throw the carbon monoxide detector in the trash if it starts beeping.  Keep your liability insurance up to date.

Do you use a router to connect to the internet? If so you might be interested in this article.

Here is the link.

http://ask-leo.com/does_my_router_have_a_firewall_or_not.html

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy.  At the link you've been recommending, please note the author's closing comment: "In fact, that's exactly what I do here at home." [emphasis added]

Yes, I use a router, and we install routers or firewalls  (from consumer models to more sophisticated models like Sonicwall, Cisco and Checkpoint) at our customers.  We primarily support businesses, not homes.

The router protects the network (LAN) from the internet.  It does not protect computers within the LAN from each other.

There are many viruses can be accidentally downloaded by an user and then, if the Windows Firewall is disabled, spread from computer to computer on the LAN,  turning a $300 single-computer virus cleanup/reinstall into a massive, expensive mess.    Also, in many businesses, management does not intend for every user to have access to every bit of information on every computer, and the software Windows Firewall can protect against exploits that sneaky or dishonest employees might employ to access information they shouldn't .  The firewall in Vista/Win7, with its Domain/Private//Public profiles, implicitly acknowledges that firewall protection within the LAN is an issue not to be ignored.

Further, some of these computers may be portable, and they may connect to networks that are significantly more hostile than the office environment.  Or even occasionally plug into cable modems that do not have NAT configured, obtaining a routable IP, and then be positioned directly on the internet.

Spending a few minutes to properly configure the Windows Firewall to allow access to Act! services on the computer hosting Act! seems a small price to pay to maintain hygiene on your customers' networks.