Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Synchornization via VPN problem

Remote Synchornization via VPN problem

I have a new computer (Windows 7 running SQL 2008) and  ACT is having trouble synching with the remote server.   I’m able to VPN into the server from the new computer with no problems and access server drives, etc.  It’s just ACT that isn’t synching.  Meanwhile, ACT still synchs fine on the old computer (via the VPN).  It’s the same version of ACT.   The new and old computers are on the same network.  Disabling the Windows firewall doesn’t seem to make a difference.  The Protocols for ACT 7 is enabled within the SQL Server Configuration.   Any suggestons for things to check?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Remote Synchornization via VPN problem

From both the current computer and old computer, go to Tools > Synchronize Database > Synchronization Panel.  Check all the connection settings to make sure they are the same (for example, is one using the IP address of the server and the other using the server name?).

Also, did you create a new .RDB from the server for your new computer?

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

The connection info, including the port number and server name, are the same between the new and old setup.   the old setup continues to work.  The new one doesn't.   One suggestion I heard is that ACT may not allow the same user to connect remotely from two different machines.  But I'm not connecting at the same time, so I'm not sure this makes sense.  

Nickel Super Contributor

Are you getting an error when you synchronize?  Did you create a new .rdb for the new computer? 

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

Yes.  I made new RDB and I'm getting error "ACT is unable to connect to the synch server..."

We have a similar setup and can have issues based mostly on the settings for the VPN, its a PPTP for us and enabling encryption tends to cause problems....what sort of VPN are you using?