Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Regretting upgrading - Mail Merge with Word no longer suppresses blank lines Act! Premium Version 20.1.120.0, Update 7

Highlighted

Regretting upgrading - Mail Merge with Word no longer suppresses blank lines Act! Premium Version 20.1.120.0, Update 7

I was hoping the upgraded done in May would be a step forward, however it seems to be 5 steps back.

I notified Swiftpage tech support in June and after about 30 minutes dealing with language conflict I found out that it was a known issue and was told it will be fixed in future update.

Updated 8/6/18 and that update didn’t have this included, was confirmed by tech support that it’s still a known issue and will be fixed in future update….REALLY?

It is now 90 days since they admitted it was a known issue and still not fixed.  I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL.  THIS IS A CRIME TO TAKE MY COMPANIES MONEY AND NOT FIX A KNOWN ISSUE THAT WORKED IN A PRIOR VERSION. 

It is not acceptable to address an letter or envelope with the following

Name

Address1

City, ST Zip

So unprofessional, and not acceptable to have to manually correct hundreds of merges manually. 

So dissatisfied with this upgrade.  

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Regretting upgrading - Mail Merge with Word no longer suppresses blank lines Act! Premium Version 20.1.120.0, Update 7

Hello,

The Act! Word processor should be able to suppress the blank lines for you.  

In Act!, you can use either the Act! Word Processor, which is built into the program, or you can use Microsoft Word. The default word processor will launch when you edit or create a document template. When you select the Act! Word Processor as your default, you will only have access to the Act! Word Processor templates (these files are *.tpl files) within Act!. When you select Microsoft Word as your default, you will only have access to your Word templates (these files are *.adt files) within Act!. To set your default word processor:

In Act!, click Tools > Preferences
Go to the Communication tab
Click the drop-down under Word processor, then choose the word processor you wish to use
Click Apply, then close the Preferences window

Note: If you customize your templates under one word processor, but later decide to use a different word processor, you cannot convert the templates from one format to another. You must manually recreate these custom templates.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Regretting upgrading - Mail Merge with Word no longer suppresses blank lines Act! Premium Version 20.1.120.0, Update 7

I have Act! Premium V20.1.120.0, Update 6, and it's the same if I use any of the two word processors as the default

In my test, I am sending the mail merge to the processor as if I wanted to send letters or print the envelopes

I see it as an advantage if what I'm printing is a Pre-printed form, but if not ...?

Best regards,

FIRMA.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Something else to consider:  With Word, the document always opens in Word without some glitchy "do you want to convert" and then the document looks more like a ransom note than the original document.

With the Act! word processor, results may vary.

I've used Act! in my law practice since 1993. While Word will request security clearances before it will open a document from Word 2.0 (way back when), it opens and looks the way it was back then, formatting is intact. Try that with an Act! word processor document and it will not open or if it does open, much of the text is hexadecimal. We can all read that, can't we?

Act! is great, but its word processor leaves much to be desired. Go with something you can look at later if when later comes, you need to look at it.