Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recreate database, what to do on the remote client side

Copper Super Contributor

Recreate database, what to do on the remote client side

I have a client whose remote database has become corrupted beyond repair.  It can be opened, but sync fails and ACTDIAG repair attempts fail as well.  I have used the 'recreate database' function on the server and have delivered it to the remote client.

I checked the online help and searched KB and this forum.  After receiving the RDB file from the server/publisher on the remote client side, I'm not sure what to do.  I'm assuing that I would run ACT on the client, opening the current remote database, then delete the database, then restore the RDB file (?)

Employee

Re: Recreate database, what to do on the remote client side

Hi ActNewb!

Rather than deleting the original database, I would recommend simply detaching it in ActDiag so that you can retain the files as a backup in case they're needed in future.

You can do this with ActDiag by choosing Database > Database List, selecting your database and then clicking Actions > Detach Database.

This will ensure the database name is no longer in use by SQL and will allow you to restore the .RDB on to the client machine. The easiest way to do this is to close Act! and then simply double-click the .RDB file.

Please let us know how this goes!

Chris

Chris Manders

Act! Premium Cloud Operations Analyst
Copper Super Contributor

I was unable to detach the database either using ActDiag GUI or via command line (actdiag detach ...).  Both would fail with a very long error message.  Since I was able to open the corrupt database and verify with the user that only a minimal amount of data would be lost, I went ahead and deleted the database within ACT.

After that, I was able to restore the 'new' RDB successfully.

Employee

I'm glad to hear you've been able to resolve this. It sounds like whatever DB corruption was causing the repairs to fail was also causing the detach operation to fail.

I don't imagine you'll have any further issues as a result of this, but if you do run into any trouble then please let us know!

Chris

Chris Manders

Act! Premium Cloud Operations Analyst