Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recording too much E-mail History

Recording too much E-mail History

I have a problem with the history recording ALL emails send between users of the ACT database.  When you try to find an e-mail which was actually sent to the contact you have a wade through a TON of irrelevant e-mails. 

I have read post after post how to fix the problem if the history is not being recorded, the problem I am having it's recording too many.  I just recently ran the latest update for ACT Premium 2011 so the version we are currently working with is Version 13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 6, we are also using Outlook 2010.  In reading, the problems this update should have fixed, e-mail history was one of them.  In our system not so much.  I do have the options unselected under the Admin tab for not Allowing history creation for e-mails sent from a user of this database to another user and Allow e-mail messages to be attached to this database.  I don't want to disable all e-mail history from being recorded I would just simply want the e-mails to be recorded from the record manager to the contact that is it, not all e-mails from the record manager to another user of the database. 

I did see there was a post showing how to disable the Outlook sync function which in turn would turn off all the e-mail history from being recorded as I said I want the history to be recorded. 

I hope there is simply a setting I am missing and it will be a simple fix. 

Kim Boelter

Re: Recording too much E-mail History

I see several people have read this post but no solutions yet. 

Does anybody have a fix for this problem?

Kim

Ok still no solution or suggestion to fix this.  I am actually shocked that no one else experienced this same problem. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Kim,

To make sure I understand the situation correctly...

Are you saying that you have the option to 'Allow history creation for e-mails sent from a user... to another user' disabled, but e-mails are still recording to the receiving user?  Or is it recording the e-mail to the senders contact record?

Greg Martin
Sage

I wish I could post a screen shot. 

Let me try to give you an example of what is going on without a picture.

We have ACT users Billy, Steve and Jason and ACT contacts Larry, Ron and Nicolas

Steve sends to Ron, who Jason is the record creator and manager.  The e-mail sent to Ron by Steve is showing in Ron, Larry and Nicolas’ history.

Steve sends Jason an e-mail this too shows up in Ron, Larry and Nicolas’ history.

Billy sends an e-mail to Nicolas, who Jason is the record creator and manager.  The e-mail sent to Nicolas by Billy it is recorded in Ron, Larry and Nicolas’ history.

Can you see what is going on by this example, I hope?  As I stated before all the options to attach e-mail or have e-mails sent to other users of the database is turned off.

This problem makes it difficult for us to see who is e-mailing who and when they are getting e-mialed. 

I am not sure if this will be realivant or not but we do use Swiftpage to send out some bulk e-mails but our day to day e-mail we aren't using Swiftpage. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Hmmm, I think I understand what you are saying...

When the e-mails are sent from a user to a contact and it attaches to multiple contacts, are there any other e-mail addresses included in the e-mail (such as CC or BCC)? 

Have you tested (and watched) the send of an e-mail from a user to a contact, to see if it is attaching to the multiple contacts at that time... or is it later that you notice that the multiple contacts have the same e-mail attached?

If a user performs a Lookup > My Record, is that the record that has the 'extra' e-mails attached to it?  Or do you also have a contact record set up for the users (which is where the history is being recorded)?

Do you synchronize with remotes, or any other program?

Greg Martin
Sage

When the e-mails are sent from a user to a contact and it attaches to multiple contacts, are there any other e-mail addresses included in the e-mail (such as CC or BCC)?

E-mails are typically only sent to one contact with out a CC or BCC.  It would make sense if there it is going to multi contacts in ACT that it would record to each of them.  When the e-mails are sent from a user to another user it could be both, e-mails only going to one of them or it could be the same e-mail going to all of them. 

Have you tested (and watched) the send of an e-mail from a user to a contact, to see if it is attaching to the multiple contacts at that time... or is it later that you notice that the multiple contacts have the same e-mail attached?

I just had one of my guys test sending out an e-mail to a contact and the history didn't record the e-mail which was sent through Mail Merge. 

If a user performs a Lookup > My Record, is that the record that has the 'extra' e-mails attached to it?  Or do you also have a contact record set up for the users (which is where the history is being recorded)?

The e-mails are not attached to 'My Record', which is odd. I don't understand the second question, but when we add a new user to the database ACT creates the record for the new user. 

Do you synchronize with remotes, or any other program?

We don't use remote databases with sync.  We have our database set up on a network drive so everyone can access the same database. 

I hope I answered the questions with enough information.

Kim

I would like to revive this post.  I am sure I am not the only  one out there this is happening to.  Where we are running Outlook 2010 through the Exchange Server, and we have ACT 2011 Premium.  If you have a similar problem,  what work around are do you use?  I am fully updated on all the software, I thought for sure one of the HotFixes was going to fix this problem, I think it was HotFix3 or 4, with no luck. 

Bronze Super Contributor

It's still not really clear as to what you are looking for...

Are you saying that you do not like the way that the logic for recording email histories - and the related settings - is designed?

Or, are you saying it is broken and NOT working as designed?