Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recording history when printing multiple letters

Recording history when printing multiple letters

When printing multiple letters and recording and attaching to the client history, the 1st client's details of the lookup are stored in each letter for each client.

Is there something I'm missing or not doing?

Thanks.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Recording history when printing multiple letters

Andy, I am not sure I understand the issue.  If you do an e-mail merge, there is a window (I think about the 3rd or 4th one) that asks what kind of history you want to record.  If you are doing a word processor mail merge, it usually asks for the history option when you send the letters to print.  Brenda

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)

Hi Brenda

Thanks for the response.

The issue is when printing multiples of the same letter (from a Word template) from a lookup. When I click quickprint, the letters all print off ok and gives me the option to record history and attach document to histrory.

But, when I select attach document to history, it attachs the letter to each clients history record, but with the 1st lookup entry's details only - for all client entries in the lookup.

Kind of the defeats the object of printing multiple letters in one go - I may as well do them individually!!

Nickel Super Contributor

Andy, the issue is that you are using QuickPrint instead of doing a real mail merge.  (I usually consider the quickprint window as just little more than a screen shot!)  The mail merge function will give you the options you want and the history as well.  Go to Tools/Write/Mail Merge and follow the wizard.  Brenda

Brenda Dixon
404-405-4116

Hi Brenda

The issue I have with the mail merge and then print options are a nasty error message 'Attempting to read or write protected memory'.

Looking into this.

Thanks for your help though, I'll try that if I get this error fixed!

Nickel Super Contributor

That error message usually means you have a problem with the normal.dot file that Word uses as a base template.  Do a search (make sure to check hidden files), then with all programs closed, delete all the normal.dot files.  then open Word and see if that helps.  also check to see that Word has the latest updates applied.  There are a couple of other causes, but try these and see what happens. Brenda

Brenda Dixon
404-405-4116

I found that fix, but it didn't work for me.

It seems to depend on what options I choose when printing. i.e. if I preview and then print, it doesn't like it, but if I print from the envelope or label template, it works ok.

Ah well, at least I can now get around it!

Thanks for your help Brenda.