Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Record history for more than 150 contacts

Record history for more than 150 contacts

Hi, i had a good search for an answer to this and found some 'somewhat' related questions, but not an answer to my specific problem.

Is there a way you can record history for more than 150 contacts in one go? i.e, if you do some marketing to a specific group created in Act, i am currently creating a lookup of the group, selecting 'about' 150 contacts, then recording a history for them, then repeating for remainder.  This is fine for small groups, but once they get over 4-500, it can get time consuming and contacts can get left out since it is so manual.

Any suggestions? BTW, we are using Act! Premium 9.

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Record history for more than 150 contacts

You could use the Edit | Replace Field function in ACT! . You would need to create a field or fields appropriate to what you want to record. This will update across 1000's of records quite rapidly

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response Graeme - i do currently use the Edit | Replace Field function for certain things in Act, however i'm not sure it will work for what i need as the field in the history tab where we type what was sent to that contact (whether it be in the 'Regarding' or 'Details' field) is not selectable in the replace field list.

I would like to have an entry in the History tab for contacts every time they receive a piece of marketing material, but we seem to be limited when doing bulk entries to 150 contacts.  Are you aware if this number can be modified - even if we can push it out to 1000, it will still save considerable time.

Thanks again,

Michael.

Message Edited by michaelkelman on 09-29-2008 07:36 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

What sort of marketing are you sending to so many at the same time? Email, print, etc?

How are you sending it?

I just tried selecting a couple of thousand records in Contact List with ACT! 2009 and selecting Ctrl-H ... it's been running for 30 minutes and still hasn't let me use the Record History dialog. I might leave it and see if it crashes or (eventually) works.

Hi Mike. We send both hard mail and email campaigns, however as an international company, our policy dictates that we cannot save/record emails anywhere except for Outlook - not sure why, but that is how it is.  Therefore even when we do an email campaign, we still need to manually record a history that a particular piece of material has gone to someone.

I'll await to see how you go!

If you can think of another possible solution - apart from recording history - that may also be of help.  This was the only way we could originally find, so have been using it for the last 18 months.

Thanks again,

Michael.

For the emails... select the preferences for Outlook to only record the date, time and subject.

Without the body, that might do it for you?

It did complete on a few hundred, but took a few hours to fill the dialog box. So probably not usable.

Did you look at setting the Record History to "Subject Only"? Would this be workable for you?

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Hi Mike,

This would be workable - is there somewhere to set this, or do you mean just use the Subject box in Record History and not use Details?

Thanks,

Michael.