Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Record an export of records

leo

Record an export of records

I need to export a couple of thousand records for a direct mail campaign but need to track which records where exported for follow up later.  I was thinking the easiest way to do this was to do a history query but I've run into two problems.  First there is no history created when a record is exported, second is that I have not found a way to lookup history to sort those records.

Can anybody give me a hint on how best to accomplish this task?

Thanks ahead of time...

Leo

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Record an export of records

I would put the records in a group for followup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Leo,

To expand on Roy's suggestion, you would need to tag these records with a value in a field, then use that value to add them a group. Here is what suggest:

- Make a backup of your database

- Create a new field (Tools>Define Fields) - all other users must be logged out of the database. It can be a Yes/No checkbox field, a date field or whatever type based on how you indicate the record was exported

- Lookup the records to export, export them, then keep your lookup active.

- From the ACT! main menu, go to Edit>Replace Fields

- Choose the field you created for noting the exported records, then for the value choose whatever value is your indicator (a check, a date, a phrase, etc). Click OK. This will insert that value into the field for all contacts in the lookup, indicating they were part of the export.

- Click Groups from the NavBar on the left, then click New for a new group. Name the group as desired

- Under the Contacts tab for this group, click Add/Remove Contacts.

- Under Dynamic Criteria, click Edit Criteria, then select the field you used to indicate the export and the value you used.

- Save your changes...you should then see all the contacts you exported added to the group

** The Group is optional since you could just do a lookup on that field to get the contacts, but it does help to organize them

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

leo

You guys are both awesome, thank you for the guidence!