Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reattach E-mail Database

Reattach E-mail Database

I have succesfully installed Act Premium for Web 2007. However, I noticed that during the install, the Email database was put in a default location (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows\Email\9\ActEmailMessageStore.mdf). Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a place to specify where I want to install it. I don't have enough space on my C drive to keep it there. So, I went into the act diagnostics thinking that the database could be detached and then reattached at a different location. I was a bit hasty I guess because I don't see an option to reattach the database. I figured worst case I would reattach by logging on directly to the database using Management studio. Unfortunately, access is denied even to my admin domain account. Is there a way to reattach the database at a new location without reinstalling (perhaps through management studio)? If not, can I specify the location this database is installed during the install process (I didn't see if before). Thanks PS - on an semi-related note, why would the diagnostics allow me to detach a database without allowing me to reattach it? I suppose if you're not using the e-mail functionality, you would only have the need to detach, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Reattach E-mail Database

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, if you want to reattach the email database to a different, non-default location, you will need to call into support to accompolish this. Support has a tool that will reattach the email database after it has been moved. Typically, if you detach the email database, when you relaunch ACT, it will reattach, but it will still reside in the default location. We typically use the detach feature when dealing with the actual ACT database as we are able to reattach that from any location using the adf file.

The number you will need to call to speak with support is 877-716-6296
Platinum Elite Contributor

The other ACT! databases are re-attached automatically when you open them.

I'm not sure how this would work with the email store, but if you're running out of space on the C:\ drive, why not change the default location for My Documents?

To change the location, have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

Is this tool somehow available to people without gold/silver support?

It seems odd that Act supports Windows Server 2011 SBS, which by default shares C:\Users\Public\My Documents to the "Everyone" group (only local network access is required to have full access to this folder), and this is the spot chosen to store the email database!