Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Really annoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuned Listener

Really annoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

My laptop had to hard powered down recently - having exited Act.

When I re-enter Act, it wanted to start from scratch. I exited and re-enter and it open my last database.

I customized the Web Info tab to all the links I wanted - for Contacts and Companies. --- ALL THIS HAS DISAPPEARED and it has default to cr*ppy linked that came with the system.

I get really <Content removed. Please post courteously> when you pay good money and you get such unreliable software.

Just look at the number of issues in this forum!!!

Message Edited by ghollister on 12-03-2009 10:01 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Really annoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello vaxa,

The web info tab links are stored in your ACT! preferences file (USpreferences206.xml) located in one of the following directories:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 12\Preferences

Windows Vista / 7: C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Preferences

If this file was lost or reset when your laptop shut down, this would have also removed your web links. See if there is a copy of the preferences file prior to your laptop shutting down. It would be in the above listed directory with an extension of  ".old". If there is a copy, then you can rename the current preferences file to something else, then just remove the .old extension so that file will be used. Make sure that ACT!, Internet Explorer, and all Office apps are closed when you do this. Please post your results.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

I use XP Pro - and cannot find this folder.

The "ACT for Windows" folder may be different according to your version number of ACT!. So instead of "ACT for Windows 12", it may be "ACT! for Windows 11" (for 2009). Or is the entire directory missing? Also, make sure you are browsing under the right <user_name> under which you installed the program. You can view the current location of the preferences file by going to Tools/Preferences, and under the General tab, change the "File type" for Personal File Locations to "Internet Links"...it will be in that same directory. You can also do a search of your C: drive using the search parameter uspreferences206*

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

the entire directory is missing.
Copper Contributor

You need to show hidden directories.  Check out this link for instructions:  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/display-hidden-folders-in-xp/

Tuned Listener

Ok - I found it - there are two files called USperference206 - one extension is .old. Each has today's date on them - giving me the impression that the previous links may not be there????? What do I do with this file?

Once you have restored them or re-created them, you should back them up - File | Backup | Personal Files

For other things to backup, see http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/automating-backups-for-act-by-sage.html