Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Read Only Field Help

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Read Only Field Help

I am trying to make a read only field that is tied to a company field.

Example:  In company I have a yes/no field for say "credit"

In the contact field, I want to be able to see that field but not have users changing it there.  I want it changed in the comany list only.

Right now I have the 2 field in contact and company.  I have them tied together with the company field as the control field.  That works fine.

But if I try to change the field to red only in contact, it no longer updates when the company function asks to update linked filed.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author psinewe
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Read Only Field Help

This is working as intended.  Once you set a field to read only, its locks for field from changes even if its linked.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author psinewe
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

This is working as intended.  Once you set a field to read only, its locks for field from changes even if its linked.
Copper Contributor

OK, maybe I am doing something wrong. Let me explain. Maybe someone can tell me the specific steps. I want to have a field in the company layout that is open to data entry and modification by anyone. In the contact layout I want to be able to see that field, but not be able to change it in the contact layout.

Or, it would also be OK, if someone is able to change it in contact layout, but the change would need to take effect for all the contacts in that company, and in the company view as well.
Tuned Listener

Curiouser and curiouser.

Let's say we have a field on Contact called Age Next Birthday.

A plugin calculates this value in the actApp.CurrentContactChanged handler

and updates that field on the Contact record.

It would be nice to stopped users changing the value displayed on the layout.

But if it is set to readonly the plugin's update fails.

I take it this is the behaviour "by design".

If a user cannot update a readonly field and plugin cannot either, who can?

Reece harper

Act! Certified Consultant Australia
http://www.databasepartners.com.au
Platinum Elite Contributor

I believe it is possible to edit the XML code for a layout so that the layout will not permit changing the field even though the actual database field could be modified using an addon or a different layout. Send me a private message if you are interested and I will send the information I have.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Does anyone know anything about editing the XML code as Roy mentioned?  I messaged him, but haven't heard back and really need to figure out if we can modify these fields to be read only at the Contact level.

I have to appologize. I went back and read my earlier posting and it was long enough ago that I don't recall what I might have ben referring to. Editing the layout XML code is challenging but if you want to view the code, download the XML Notepad 2007 from Microsoft, it makes the code somewhat easier to understand. The biggest problem is that with the contact list view editable, simply changing the layout would not block editing the field. Have you tried setting the field to read only for most users with only a few users able to run the addon to update the field?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Hey Roy,

Thanks for the response.  So how do I get to the XML files in the first place? We're not actually using an add-on, just the linked fields between the Company and Contact.  The problem is that if someone makes a change at the Contact level, that change isn't pushed back to the Company.  So if someone later changes the same field at the Company level, the changed information at the Contact level will be lost.  What do you mean by:

The biggest problem is that with the contact list view editable, simply changing the layout would not block editing the field.

Thanks

Scott

What you are referring to isn't a function of the layout but is part of the program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

I believe the problem is not solve as I have the same problem in Act!2013 Premium

We have linked fields that are both in Company and Contacts. 

We would like to be able to update these fields only from the Company Tabs. 

Basically, we want the Linked Contact Fields to update the data from its master field in the company tab, but we do not want the user to be able to update it from the contact tab.

We want "the program" to update the data when we press on the "Update Linked Fields" and not the "user" itself.

This is an issue that is very frustrating when a user keeps using these fields the wrong way and we keep erasing the data he enters by updating from the company field after him.

Could there please be an update for this ?