Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reached limit of fields in Act.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Reached limit of fields in Act.

We use Act 2008 Premium version 10.0.1.199.

I was creating a database and wasn't even making fields; just copying blank ones to make the layout and then I would make a list of all the fields necessary. I finally got to a point where it said that it could not create any more fields.

I researched on the Act website and it says that technically it's unlimited; but that it can only display about 1000 fields without error. But that it can vary.

I would like to know if anyone knows if this number possibly correlates with your hardware; do I need a better video card or more memory to handle more fields. Would like to avoid their recommended resolve of creating additional layouts. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rockstar1
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reached limit of fields in Act.

You'll find the best way to do this now (10.02 and later) is to add additional tables to the ACT! database with an enhancement product like itTables

This will allow you to create a table for passengers, one for doctors, etc.

It would be far more managable this way

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

I oncew had a similar issue with ACT 2005/6/7 and what I did was use the tabs to place fiels into different tabs so that they were not all displayed at once. The table structure behind all the fields is also a little chaotic and hence things don't work so well. My advice is to have a serious think about how many fields you really need and don't add in unnecessary ones if you can help it. I think I found a 600 field limit.
Nickel Elite Contributor

The number of fields in the database is unlimited. However, the layout file is an XML file and the limit is the size of XML file that can be processed. I don't know that hardware is a limit but the simpler that you keep the layout will increase the number of fields that it can display. Things like background images, logos and other graphics will limit the number of fields that you can display in a layout. You could also make two layouts with necessary common fields in both and different additional fields in both. Often large number of fields are used as a work around for an additional one-to-many table. If so you should consider upgrading/updating to 10.0.2. It has the capability of having additional tables in the database. At present an addon is needed to define and use the additional tables.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

What would you want 1000+ fields for? Who would ever fill them in or use them?

Though it may sound non-feasible; this is over a course of time; for example; for a Law Firm; in their Personal Injury department. A contact has the Client; up to 7 passengers; each one with their own relevant information; name; address; phone; insurance info; then each one can have up to 10 medical contacts; different doctors seen; and their contact info. The numbers can get pretty high when individual fields are used such as for each address state and zip; phone; fax; email;. That's already: 11 fields for the main contact; 11 fields for their insurance; 120 fields for the medical info. So 8 possible contacts X 152 fields = 1136 .... and this level of complexity is all for the sake of having all relevant information in the database; to minimize the use of the physical file...
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rockstar1
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You'll find the best way to do this now (10.02 and later) is to add additional tables to the ACT! database with an enhancement product like itTables

This will allow you to create a table for passengers, one for doctors, etc.

It would be far more managable this way