Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re-install ACT! on Windows 8

Copper Contributor

Re-install ACT! on Windows 8

Good morning all,

I need a little help I upgraded the OS on my computer. Howeve, I cannot get ACT! to work...I manually started the service but still the DB will not come up.

Can anyone help?

Thank you very much,

Carlos

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Re-install ACT! on Windows 8

[ Edited ]

Carlos, (Supongo que entiendes español)

simply not open ACT! ? Tried looking in the Start bar (in the bottom bar of the desktop) Right click...  Start Task Manager ... Processes ... tab ActSage.exe ... click and use the option End Process ... try again to open the database ...

Copper Contributor

Hey Juan Carlos,

Si, entiendo espanol...I tried that but that did not work. I just did a "Restore As", I lost a little data but nothing too major.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Carlos

Platinum Elite Contributor

What version of the ACT! program? No version of the ACT! program is fully checked on Windows 8. ACT! 2013 is in the process of being checked and SP1 will make ACT! 2013 fully compatable with Windows 8. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have ACT 2011 Pro working on Windows 8 but cannot seem to open one of my 4 databases now. It keeps asking me for a password. I never assigned a password. Help ! What do I do. ? Sage says there is a cost to retrieve a password but I never assigned one? Do I use save as, export or back up to move that database to my new laptop with Win 8 ? I don't want to invest in act! 2013 if I can't get this 4th database to open
Nickel Super Contributor

Have you tried just leaving the password field blank?

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

ACT! on Windows 8 and password problem

Yes, I've tried leaving it blank and even trying to enter in a normal password I use for other things, on the off chance that I had put in a password.  I am reluctant to buy ACT! 2013 if I can't even open that database.  I have been an ACT! user since the DOS version in 1990

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! on Windows 8 and password problem

If you did not enter a password previously to open the database, I would believe that the user name is the issue. Try variations of your name (first last, firstlast, firstinitial lastname, etc.) while leaving the password blank.

If you can remember how the 'My Record' displayed your name, it is most likely the format of your user name.
Greg Martin
Sage

The same exact thing has happened to me after installing Windows 8 yesterday. Prior to installing Windows 8 I asked tech support if it was compatible to ACT 2013 and was told it is. I now cannott open my database that I use every day and it is asking for a password I know never existed. I am very frustrated and now ACT wants to charge me a ridiculous amount of money to provide support. $99.00 for one incident!

Platinum Super Contributor

Have you tried the following:
- Leave password field blank
- Verify the correct database is attempting to open (at top of Log on window)
- Tried variations of your name (how is your 'My Record' formatted)
Greg Martin
Sage