Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Rash of Preferences file corruptions

Open the ACT Data folder and rename the following (close ACT!):

- Preferences (folder)

- preferencesBak.xml

- preferencesBak3.xml

- preferencesBak6.xml

- preferencesBak9.xml

These are the actual preference files, you do not have to rename the other files/folders.  Are you able to rename these?

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg,

Progress!  Yes, I was able to rename the files that way.  I then opened ACT, re-did my Preferences, saved, closed, re-opened, closed & restarted my computer and lo & behold the Preferences stuck! 

The only thing that this didn't change was the ability to use the <-- BACK & --> FORWARD keys...they are still greyed out, however, I can live with this! 

So, in a nutshell, I am a content camper!  As long as my Preferences stick, and I have a way of rebuilding the file when there's a problem, I'm good. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

Jillian

Platinum Super Contributor

Hey Jillian,

I'm very glad to hear that we have success!  A couple of points here...

We don't know what corrupted the files originally, so it could return.  I would suggest making a copy of the Preferences folder and preferencebak.xml file, so that you can replace them should the issue return.  Of course, you can always rename/delete them again... but the backups would already contain your customizations.

For the Forward and Back buttons, I believe they are disabled because you have the 'Open each view in its own window' option enabled.  Should you want to change it, it is under Tools > Preferences > Startup tab.  

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg,

I'm going to make a backup of those files right now...one of my concerns all along has been that there have been numerous problems with the Preferences & I needed to be able to recover easily...

Re: Back & Forward buttons, no I don't have the "Open each view in its own window" selected.  But, as I said, I can live with that one...just hope it isn't indicative of a larger issue. 

I thank you again for your help & your solution.  I now can recover from any errors without too much pain...! 

Cheers,

Jillian