Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Rash of Preferences file corruptions

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Rash of Preferences file corruptions

For Jeff and Gillian,

Do the preferences ever stick?  For example, can you set them > close the database > reopen the database and the settings remain?  Then they are reset overnight or in a few days?

What are the DPI settings for the monitors?  If they are not the default, set them to default > rebuild the Preference files > test the settings.  Note: The DPI setting can also affect the Forward/Back buttons.

Are you opening multiple databases?  Going from one database to another can reset the preferences.  If multiple databases are involved, try using the File > Close option (to close the current database), then use File > select from recent databases list.  This will give the ACT! program a chance to write the preferences before opening the next database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg,

No, my Preferences have never stuck.  Once when the Preferences file was rebuilt (by my ACT Consultant) they stuck when I opened ACT.  The very next morning when I opened ACT my Preferences were gone again.  (Once of things I always do is to Close, then Exit.)  I've set my DPI to Normal. 

I'm going to try to rebuild my Preferences file (again!) ...but I have a couple of questions.  Per the instructions in this article http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftw​areonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=147... for Manually rebuilding the Preferences file: 

1. Per #4 in the Alternate Method:  when I run actdiag & select Database List, my database is not there.  ACT (2012 Premium) is installed on the Server, for which I have a mapped Network drive.  What should I do? 
  2. Per #8 in the Alternate Method:  If I try to rename the folder, I get a message "access denied."  (I have Admin rights.  Checked via instructions in Article 14175 in KB.)

I'm really at loss as to how to proceed.  I'm sure that many of the problems I'm experiencing are caused by a corrupt Preferences file (there have been problems since day 1). 

Thanks for any ideas you might have...

Jillian

Jillian,

1. Since your database is not local to your computer, it will not show in the ActDiag utility.  You can skip that step (#4) and continue with the remainder of the steps.

2. Make sure ACT! or one of the the ACT! services does not have the folder locked by: 1. Close ACT!; 2. Open the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del > select Task Manager), on Process tab > End Process on all ACT.* processes.   If you still get the Access Denied message, that may be a clue as to the cause of your issue. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Re: Rash of Preferences file corruptions - HELP!

Okay, I have now tried to rebuild my Preferences file for the millionth time & it still fails!  Please understand that this has been a problem since DAY 1 & my frustration level is growing exponentially!  I am unable to focus on other ACT issues because of the problems associated with the Preferences file!  I am NOT A HAPPY CAMPER! 

Here are the steps I have followed: 

1.  Made a Back-up of the Database

2.  Closed all ACT.* services in Task Manager

3.  Following instructions in previously referenced KB article, ran %appdata%

4.  Found APPLICATION DATA folder

5.  Opened ACT folder

6.  (Instructions are incomplete here, as I am on ACT 2012 Premium), I see Act Data folder

7.  (Instructions are again unclear as it states "Right-click on these folders" & there is only 1 folder)

8.  I rename Act Data folder to Act DataOLD and get msg "Access Denied". 

9.  As I stated in my previous post, I have checked my Admin rights & all is well. 

Most of the issues I've reported since DAY 1 are due to this problem!  Now today I can't open the Design Layout. 

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of resolving this issue.  WE ARE INSTALLING NEW COMPUTERS this weekend for some of the users & I MUST BE FUNCTION WITH ACT!!!!!

Bronze Contributor

Jillian,

I would suggest you might try the following

Close all apps

In the windows explorer window type %appdata%

Rename the ACT folder to ACTold

Restart ACT and redo your preferences

Close ACT and wait 2 minutes before you reopen

Let me know how it goes

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Bronze Contributor

Kevin over the past couple of weeks I have had at least 10 clients report this problem so there must be a link somewhere just not able to put my finger on the exact cause.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Bronze Contributor

Paul, I thought we had put this one to bed years ago. Frustrating.

Signature
Copper Contributor

Paul,

I've tried that.  When I try to rename the folder I get the message:  

Cannot rename ACT Data: Access is denied.  Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use. 

I've checked & have rights (see previous post)...and I have ended all ACT services in the Task Manager. 

Thanks for any ideas! 

Jillian

Try updating the Security settings on the folder: right click on the folder > select Properties > select Security tab > Add 'Everyone' with 'Full Control' > attempt to rename.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg,

I added "Everyone" with Full Control.  Same issue.  I've also tried it when logged on as the Administrator.  Same issue.  Has anyone actually tried to do with ACT Premium 2012?  I have problems surrounding the Preferences not sticking on a daily basis!  It seems such a minor thing, but IT IS A PROBLEM!  Is this ever going to get fixed???????

Jillian