Do you mean 

Random data loss/changes

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor Kez
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Random data loss/changes

Good morning everyone,

A client came to us a few weeks back with an issue of data changes/loss on their ACT premium database that has been occuring for the last 7 months.

Their setup is a small business server 03 hosting the database, and then a Citrix server (MS Server 2003) where ACT! is installed on in which they all access it through. After that users use dumb terminals to connect back into the Citrix server. ACT is patched to 10.0.3 on both servers.

On some records, data from the ID/Status field was appearing in Address 1, Contact names appearing in the E-mail field, E-Mail Addresses appearing in a Member ID field, e.t.c

The issue is there is no set pattern to the data, no specific fields this is happening to either, it's just completely random. I performed a standard check and repair and this didn't fix the issue. After that I performed rebuild procedures through ACTDIAG, nothing. Finally, I created an empty copy of the database and rebuilt it via those standard procedures as listed in the KB. Nothing, the problem still occured.

After this, I've gone through and enabled field history to see if it was a user changing data by mistake and it appears that one of the users has, but he's claimed it's definately not him doing it, which I believe as there is absolutely no logical way he could be doing it himself. (It's also the guy that I've been liasing with on the whole issue, so naturally he's a bit shell shocked!)

I've gone and deleted him as a user again, but this hasn't fixed the issue. The next step is to get their IT Team to rebuild the Citrix profile as it's only happening to him, after this I've got no more ideas.

Anyone able to assist?

Cheers.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kez
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor Kez
Copper Contributor

Re: Random data loss/changes

[ Edited ]

FYI,

In the end I created a new user for him and made the old one Inactive. This has been a complete work around for his issue and he's up and running now, but I never got to the cause of the problem unfortunately. No amount of database repairs or rebuilds fixed the issue, creating a blank database and merging the data over still did nothing.

My next thing to do after the Citrix rebuild would have used a combination of itExport and itImport to get all the data out of the database in pure text form, then do the re-import into a blank structure (That we would have rebuilt from scratch on one of our machines here), thus eliminating any table issues (and data issues).

Hopefully this can help someone else in the future if need be.

Message Edited by Kez on 04-16-2009 10:02 AM

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor Kez
Copper Contributor

Haven't gone that far just yet, I've disabled the old user account again and have given him a new one, but this time have not re-assigned any records or anything to him. I'll see how it goes over the next few days and after that I'll get the profile rebuilt.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kez
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor Kez
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI,

In the end I created a new user for him and made the old one Inactive. This has been a complete work around for his issue and he's up and running now, but I never got to the cause of the problem unfortunately. No amount of database repairs or rebuilds fixed the issue, creating a blank database and merging the data over still did nothing.

My next thing to do after the Citrix rebuild would have used a combination of itExport and itImport to get all the data out of the database in pure text form, then do the re-import into a blank structure (That we would have rebuilt from scratch on one of our machines here), thus eliminating any table issues (and data issues).

Hopefully this can help someone else in the future if need be.

Message Edited by Kez on 04-16-2009 10:02 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Kieran,

I've sent a link to this to one of the Sage NA tech guys to see if they're interested in looking at the database to see if they can determine the cause.

At least you have a work-around the user can live with :-)

Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Kez,

If all repairs have been ran against the database, and you would still like to try and find a cause for the user specifc data loss, you can submit the database to our Database Services team.

You can find all information and instructions at the following webpage:

Database Services / Repair