Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Question on Groups

Question on Groups

Ok, I'm playing around with the database a bit now... trying to get a better understanding of it before I start importing my new data.  It is a bit different than the programs I've used in the past or I'm a bit rusty.

Two things... first groups.  I did the little tutorial, and I think I understand how they work.  My question is more how the person before me set them up.  We have them set up by phone area code for the most part to seperate territory.  For example, we have a group labled Los Angeles, and then sub groups with various area codes within LA.  Now when I click say on 213 and go to Add/Remove Contacts... there are no dynamic members and no search criteria set up for them.  Does that mean someone manually added everyone to the static section?  Wouldn't it make more sense to have everyone set up dynamically so that it is updating as people relocate and whatnot?  I find it hard to believe all 32,000 contacts were manually entered into the proper group... is there a group for those that don't have a group or can I view them somewhere?

Second, companies.  How does the heirarchy work with companies?  I'm guessing this has something to do with attaching people to companies vs. just having people be independent and having to enter each person seperately, but I'm not sure.  I'm just confused with having 32,000 contacts how we only have 14 companies, 4 divisions listed.  The majority of the contacts are listed under mnb, which means nothing to me.

If you can clarify any of this for me I'd appreciate it!  Thanks!

Re: Question on Groups

I've been playing around more and I've added a few groups and Sub Groups (City... then the zip codes within the cities).  I set up the criteria for it and it seems to be working fine.  Where I am confused is... take me for example, I was already in a sub group that is Our Office, if I look up My Record and go to Groups/Companies I see it listed there.  However, I created a group by our city and searched by zip code.  When I am in the groups view I see my name listed there, but when I go to My Record it does not show me as a member of that group.  Why not?  Shouldn' it?
Nickel Super Contributor

If you are using either ACT 2007 or 2008 Premium under the Groups Tab in the Contact Detail, click on 'Display Dynamic Group Membership' You will then be able to view groups you have been added to by criteria.
Platinum Elite Contributor

If they are not using Dynamic, the previous user might have done a lookup (eg area code 213) and added them all to the group. So it didn't need to be done one at a time.

But, yes, emptying the groups and adding a Group Membership Rule to dynamically would make more sense.

There is no option in ACT! to find contact who are not a member of any group, although there are a couple of add-ons that will do this.

Companies work similarly to Groups except you can have field in the Companies that update the linked contacts... eg when the address changes. It's also good to see all work done with all contacts at an account by looking at the Company record