Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Question about the difference of a LAN connected user to a remote

Copper Contributor

Question about the difference of a LAN connected user to a remote

Hi,

I came from a SalesLogix background, where we had LAN workgroup users and remote users simular to ACT. The LAN workgroup users connected directly to the database located on a central office server hosting MS SQL Server, they didn't require a full version of SQL server installed on their workstations just the SQL connection software. The remote users synced to a sync server.

I have the remote ACT users pretty much worked out but I'm not sure I understand how the workstation ACT setup actually works. Do I simply copy the pad file to the users desktop from which it will make a connection to the SQL server on the main ACT server machine over the LAN? I have completed the full ACT Premium install on the workstation as per the workstation install guide and it installed SQL Server 2005 but as far as I know there is no database in that local SQL server and there shouldn't be because the pad file connects to the main database right ? hope my question is clear Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Wayne
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Question about the difference of a LAN connected user to a remote

SQL is installed with ACT! on all machines... if a user uses ACT!'s Internet Mail option, this is a SQL database that would be local.

If not using Internet Mail or local databases and RAM is tight, you can change the SQL services to Manual on the workstations.

The PAD file can be copied to each user's machine or just on the server. Doesn't make much difference for most implementations

You might also have a read of this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/2ylwbs
Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike, from what you explained the main data for LAN users is stored and accessed directly in the central ACT SQL server, and if in use the ACT email info is stored in the local workstation SQL server instance. I also found the ACT premium whitepaper which clarifies the architecture a little more.

Regards,
Wayne

Platinum Elite Contributor

the ACT! email is only stored locally if using Internet Mail. If using Outlook, it's stored in Outlook and you can disable (if you want) the SQL engine