Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Query or Process for Comparing Contacts and Opportunities

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Query or Process for Comparing Contacts and Opportunities

What query/lookup can I run/do that will result in returning all opportunities which are NOT contacts?

We have 608 opportunities which all should be contacts; however, our contact total is only 568,  I think that there should be a way that I could query the database for a listing of those opportunities that are not classified as a contact.

Any suggestion regarding a query/lookup or another process would be most appreciated.

Many thanks!!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author huntress
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Query or Process for Comparing Contacts and Opportunities

Sounds like after viewing the Oppt List you only have 5 Oppt. records that need to be associated to contacts.

If you Okay now if so you can close the Post with resolved.  Although I'm not sure what was the steps or solution to your issue?

As a rule goto Contact records' Oppt. Tab select new Oppt. and create that record which can contain 1 or more Products/Services of the sale.  Make sure in the right of the window the white box area ASSOCIATION you see Contacts and/or Groups, Companies with a name under the branches.  If you plan out the fields names, Product list and purpose of storing Multiple Oppt. records associtated to a Contact you can view Oppt. records in the List View having the Columns setup to scan down the list making sure there are Oppt. records not Associated and what is the progress open/ closed.

Tip: I have learned Oppt. Table advanced in 12.0 there are minor bugs that Association to Contact would fail and you don't know until later or when opening from the Contact Records Oppt Tab the Detail record opens up but is another records from another Contact record.  What I did is define the Field Opportunity Name where I insert my customer ID# or if you like the Contact record full name. I know this is extra work but in light of the bugs you won't pull your hair out trying to figure out A) are you viewing the correct Oppt. Detail Record and B) easy to compare i list view that field with the Contact/Group/Company you expect to see.

JM

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

What version of Act!?

Please clarify what you mean by saying that "608 opportunities which all should be contacts"...?

Contact records are intended to be people/humans and opportunity records describe what it is you want to sell to them...

Astute Commentator

We are running ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3.

We have 568 people/contacts listed and 608 Opportunities/closed and won listed.  All of the opportunities translated into contacts who purchased our service.  Somewhere along the line, the person related to the closed/won opportunity was not entered as a contact so I would like to compare the listing of names in the opportunity list to the names listed in the contact list so that I would know which people associated with opportunities can be added as contacts.

I hope this explanation helps.

Thanks, again!

JM
Nickel Contributor

To get a clear picture of you problem tell me if this is it.

First you need to update with SP-1 to get to verison 12.1.181.0 Hot Fix1 because your version has an Oppt. bug related to Association process.

You can see all Oppt. records in the Oppt. List view.  You have defined in list view the Options (Column) fields to display the Contact name, Company name (both which can also be seen under Association window view located in the Oppt. Detail record view).  If you see in list view no Contact or Company name and you did not put in a Oppt. field some quote number or reference to point you to the ACT Contact record you have your work cut out.

If you have a reference field to point back to a contact record then the next challenge is from Oppt. Detail Contact tab do the Add/Remove Contacts.. button to select the contact to get the Association set.

JM

Astute Commentator

Your description is an exact account.  Evidently my boss creates contacts first and then creates opportunities so all opportunities have a contact associated with it with the exception of 5 which have blank contact/company information. 

I've also learned that each opportunity for purchase is entered separately so the difference between contacts and opportunities is, I believe, accounted for my the multiple opportunities created for some contacts.

Many thanks for the information and posting!

Solution
Accepted by topic author huntress
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
JM
Nickel Contributor

Sounds like after viewing the Oppt List you only have 5 Oppt. records that need to be associated to contacts.

If you Okay now if so you can close the Post with resolved.  Although I'm not sure what was the steps or solution to your issue?

As a rule goto Contact records' Oppt. Tab select new Oppt. and create that record which can contain 1 or more Products/Services of the sale.  Make sure in the right of the window the white box area ASSOCIATION you see Contacts and/or Groups, Companies with a name under the branches.  If you plan out the fields names, Product list and purpose of storing Multiple Oppt. records associtated to a Contact you can view Oppt. records in the List View having the Columns setup to scan down the list making sure there are Oppt. records not Associated and what is the progress open/ closed.

Tip: I have learned Oppt. Table advanced in 12.0 there are minor bugs that Association to Contact would fail and you don't know until later or when opening from the Contact Records Oppt Tab the Detail record opens up but is another records from another Contact record.  What I did is define the Field Opportunity Name where I insert my customer ID# or if you like the Contact record full name. I know this is extra work but in light of the bugs you won't pull your hair out trying to figure out A) are you viewing the correct Oppt. Detail Record and B) easy to compare i list view that field with the Contact/Group/Company you expect to see.

JM