Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Protexis Licensing

Protexis Licensing

I've already started a thread re this topic but still have no fix and would welcome any input.

The issue is that after upgrading to Act Premium 10.0.2 when I re-start the server the protexis licensing service is deleted upon startup. If I try and change the service settings to automatically startup on re-boot a message comes up reading "this service has been marked for deletion". Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Protexis Licensing

Have you tried and uninstall/reinstall?

Try and get from tech support or an ACC the 10.02 installer so you don't have to patch.

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10.02 full install
Install ACT! 10.02 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

I tried this procedure for getting a clean installation environment and the ACT Uninstaller corrupted half of my installed printers, Windows Software Updates Services, and caused me a few hours of server repairs (I'm running SBS 2003).

I also see where you say we should try to get an updated full installer for the latest version.  I would be willing to do this if I was sure that future updates wouldn't end up recreating the problem I am seeing with the Protexis Licensing service being deleted.

As the only IT person at my company, I cannot and will not, role out this verison of ACT until I hear that they have fixed this issue.  I also refuse to pay ACT for support for a problem that only exists when I install their patches.  These issues should not exist when installing an update, and I am not going to pay them to correct something they should have done correctly in the first place.  In fact, I think this may be the last instance of ACT not working as advertised that I needed to switch to a more reliable CRM software.

Is your only current issue the Protexis one?

If so, I have a fix that has worked for everyone who has tried it. I can't post it here, but send me a message via the Private Message area (top right of the page) and I'll send it to you.

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,

I am also having this same issue.  Can you please send me the fix that you discuss in the post.  Thanks in advance.

Keith

Message Edited by bueltakr on 08-06-2008 11:43 AM

bueltakr wrote:

Hi Mike,

I am also having this same issue.  Can you please send me the fix that you discuss in the post.  Thanks in advance.

Keith

Message Edited by bueltakr on 08-06-2008 11:43 AM

I replied to your Private Message

Nickel Contributor

Hi Mike,

Can you please send me this fix, as well. My email is ken@keystroke.ca.

We've chatted a few times via email before, and I'd like to learn more about your QBLink product.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

kquigley wrote:

Hi Mike,

Can you please send me this fix, as well. My email is ken@keystroke.ca.

Check Private Message

We've chatted a few times via email before, and I'd like to learn more about your QBLink product.

In development... but still deciding on all the features

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mike, thanks for the workaround you provided for the Protexis error.  It worked like a charm.

Mike,

I PM'd you too, for the Protexis software.

I am getting this message, after the 10.0.3 dubious upgrade:

"ACT! has detected that Protexis licensing service may not be started or installed properly. To verify go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and make sure the service is listed and the status shows that the service is in started state."

Protexis *is* in my services.msc, and it is started (and stopped and restarted) but with no help in fixing the problem.

Thanks,

Greg