Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Protexis Licensing

Re: Protexis Licensing

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If you can cast your mind back to 2008 I;d appreciate the fix for the Protexis error noted in the thread here:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Premium/Protexis-Licensing/td-p/11829

It's a 64-bit PC with Act 2008 v10 (the wrong version for this OS type - I know).

If there's a fix, it will save a small company a whole load of trouble having to either downgrade all new laptops to OS from the dark ages or upgrading Act (current version is just fine) which are both beyond current cash ability.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Send me a Private Message (the little envelope at top-right under "Go To") ... and I'll send you a link.

Include the version/build of ACT! from Help | About

Mike,

Hopefully you still check back to this forum. I have the same problem with my new win 7 65 machine trying to run act 2008 (10.0)

Type initalizer for protexis threw an exception. I would be greatful if you could share your fix wih me also.

davidmcalister@atlanticbay.com

thanks so much in advance!

Hi Mike could you also please send me the attached fix via PM?

A laptop was working fine with act! untill the laptop had a Motherboard failure and the HDD was swapped into an identical model. Everything else is worrking fine except act! because Protexis Licensing service crashes on Act! startup. Reinstalling doesnt fix and nothing i do seems to be working. Followed to reinstallation guide for the Service but no luck.

This is rediculous, and needs to be fixed.

Administrator

Kugel,
What version of Act! and Windows are you running?

[ Edited ]

V17 Windows 7

Got it working after for the third time and desperate I again tried the instructions:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23027

This time I scoured to the computer for files missed by the directions.

Suggestions:

1) Act! Uninstaller should have deleted these files, instead of leaving a rude mess about.

2) The effort put into writing a 17 + 4 step process with subsections and a installation could have went to just creating an uninstaller or a crummy unprofessional bat file that would have saved everyone time.

Administrator

Thanks for the update.

Do you happen remember the name or location of the files you removed that aren't mentioned in the knowledgebase article?

Not all of them. We are using a 64x version however it was showing up in the 32x areas and 64x areas.

Highlighted
JM
Nickel Contributor

While trouble shooting ACT 2013 on Win10 I had done a few installs of ACT! on couple drives then I got the same issue you stated. What happened was when it tried to over internet register the license again it would not.  I had to call ACT! customer License issues and have them remove the flag that prevented me from installing after my last 2 times.  During the SAGE days I don't think they tracked that but I heard from another user same thing. 

If both KB steps to rename the Protexis files to .OLD, edit registries and run the repair EXE don't work call them to check that flag.

I was running ACT 2013 V15.1 and even when they removed flag/lockout I still could not get the License to work after several uninstall deep cleaning and reinstall I gave up and upgraded to V17.2 SP2-HF0.  Since ACT! 2013 with Win 10 is not an option since SQL 2008 not supported on Win10.  If your installing V17.2 ACT! license should work.

JM