Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Proper way to move Act database server from one server to another

Proper way to move Act database server from one server to another

What is the easiest quickest way to copy an act database to a new server without errors flying all over? Currently the databse is looking for a host name of the server. How is that changed?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Proper way to move Act database server from one server to another

The easiest way is to backup the database on the old server and do a restore as on the new server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

alright, my only question is that.... on the client machines, is it going to give me an error about trying to connect to the old host server? I know when i tried it before it would give me an error saying it couldnt connect to OldSrv even though the files server on NewSrv
Nickel Contributor

The previous suggestion for moving an ACT! database is correction, provided you don't use sync databases, which require you to use the ACTDiag utility to detach the database, delete the pad file, and the copy all the database files to it's new location.

Once ACT! is installed on the new location, you open the ADF file and it will verify the database and re-establish itself in the new location with the old name.

Neither of these procedures, however, relieves you of the burden of going to each of the client stations and pointing ACT! to the new database location, or adjusting the sync properties of the sync databases to the new location so they know from where to sync.

Hope this helps.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca