Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Progress with a Fix for Defect D-07472

Bronze Elite Contributor

Progress with a Fix for Defect D-07472

The defect D-07472 in Act! Premium for Web as reported here https://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Premium-for-Web-Calendar-Display-Bug/m-p/342557#M46745 

What urgency has been assigned fixing this, my customers are asking?  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Administrator

Re: Progress with a Fix for Defect D-07472

Hi Gleo,

This particular defect is escalated at Medium priority. There is no targeted fix date at present, but it is an active defect so is currently being looked at for potential solutions.

Sorry I can't provide any more info than that.

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another 2 months gone by and no update, Act! v20 still has the problem of not displaying working week calendar correctly for UTC +12 in APFW.

So client on phoning me today is really annoyed that despite their subscribing to Act! and despite there having been updates since the problem was raised over 4 months ago, this issue goes unresolved. 

As of today they expressed they are looking to drop Act! because they feel just ignored, so that's another 11 users Swiftpage can very likely say goodbye to.       

Graeme Leo

Administrator

Sorry about the wait for a fix on this one - it's still part of the backlog.

I've provided feedback on the defect notes to make sure that we're prioritising this correctly. I'll keep this thread updated if there's any news.
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

And so it goes on and on and on...

The 'backlog' has become an entrenched part of the Act! software story. Customers pay a subscription (money), in advance, for features they rely on daily for their business operations, expecting that they should work. On identifying a bug Swiftpage enter into a process of continuous rolling excuses to stave off actually fixing the issue, assign it to the ever-growing 'backlog'.   

For this customer because they use APFW in a particular way that should work, is sold as working but plainly doesn't, it is a major problem, enough to persuade them to abandon the product. For this customer they arrive at work each week, startup Act!  and the working week calendar is missing all of Monday. Who wouldn't get annoyed at that, who wouldn't get so frustrated with being ignored by the vendor that at some point they say,enough is enough?   

How is it that Swiftpage, accepts customer's money but:

1. Does nothing to fix the product to an acceptable working condition, months and months after a problem has been identified.

2. Are unmoved by the customers plight, cannot offer any advance on actually fixing the problem months after its being reported or even any indication that will be fixed at all, instead offer meaningless platitudes and endless 'sorrys'.

Graeme Leo

Administrator

You only need to look at the patch notes for every update to see that Swiftpage is committed to improving Act! at every release - this does mean fixing bugs and outstanding defects. Defects are prioritised based on how many users they affect, how severely the defect affects operation of the program, and the availability of any workarounds.

I appreciate that for some users, certain issues can be deal-breakers that might not be as important to others.

This particular defect is open, so it is targeted to be addressed in turn. I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused in the meantime, and if there's anything that we can do to assist with working around this just let us know.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Language matters, choice of words matters...

This is not an improvement, this is about fixing something that was working but subsequently busted in an 'upgrade'. Is it progress when or if this is fixed ? No, it is merely treading water. Is it reasonable that customers are paying 12 months in advance for a product that they purchased based on it working as claimed but does not? No.  Is it reasonable that a consumer is left in the dark, no endeavor by the vendor to keep the customers informed, months and months after a defect is posted? No. Is it credible that the product is adequately tested by the vendor before releasing updates? Clearly not as if it were so there would no mounting 'backlog'.
Customers have had enough sorrys. Enough evaluations, reports, discussions, escalations and procrastination, if there isn't enough resource to actually maintain the product in a operative state that is claimed, then either address the lack of resource to achieve that or return the customers money.        

Graeme Leo

Administrator

I understand where you're coming from, and I know that it's especially frustrating when the issue is something that was previously working. We do assign higher priority to defects that have come about due to product updates, and were previously working.

The ability to expedite the fix date for this, or any defect, is unfortunately entirely out of my hands, however I'll personally email the product team with your comments on the process.

Feedback from our partners and users such as yourself does carry weight, so I'll make sure that feedback reaches the right people.
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a thought. I am not overly savvy with act for web or how it is currently being hosted and used BUT

Is it possible to delete/rebuild Preferences 

AND

even more so

Is it possible to run ACTDIAG on the problem database? using the Db REBUILD options?

Remembering to backup the db first.

Bill Williams - Owner / ACT! Consultant / Trainer at FILL STAFF HR "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://www.fillstaffhr.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Download Free BullZip PDF Printer and Print directly to PDF http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
Bronze Elite Contributor

HI Gleo

Consider putting this into the Share Your Ideas as need to fix urgently and let people vote on it. It may help expedite bug being fixed.