Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Product Serial Number Tracking

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Product Serial Number Tracking

Hello everyone,

I have a manufacturing client that is using ACT! Premium 2008. They keep track of serial numbers for products they've sold in a simple spreadsheet that they made to handle warranty requests. Rather than continuing with the spreadsheet, they would like to use ACT! for the same purpose.

Before we purchased ACT!, Sage told us that ACT! was capable of tracking product serial numbers, but we can't find any sort of built-in capability for this. The customer success stories on the ACT! website make mention of functionality like this as if you could easily customize ACT! to do this. A simple tab for each contact within ACT! with a list of serial numbers and several fields/columns (such as part number, date purchased and so on) for each would suffice.

Is this going to require a third party add-on or using SDK?

Thanks,

-Conrad

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conrad
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Product Serial Number Tracking

The 10.0.2 maintenance release of ACT! added the ability to create custom tables. Unfortunately, a user interface did not come natively with this release. There are several 3rd party addon developers that have come up with some pretty nice user interfaces to manage the custom tables. The one I have the most experience with is called TopLine Designer from www.toplineresults.com

This sounds like exactly what you need to create the one to many relationship between contacts and serial numbers. BTW: The latest maintenance release of ACT! is 10.0.3 and can be downloaded at no charge from the ACT! web site.

Ron Madara, ACC, APT

BrainSell Technologies.
(201) 853-9317

View solution in original post

All Replies

Conrad,

No, you shouldn't need an addon product to accomplish this.  You can create a tab like you asked and add a serial number field.  Below are some knowledgebase articles that will guide you through the process of create fields and adding it to the layout.

How To Manage Fields in ACT!

Designing Layouts in ACT!

Copper Contributor

If I create a serial number field, can I make it so that each contact can have multiple serial number entries? They have many customers that they sell multiple products to, each with its own serial number. I get the impression that custom fields in ACT! are for only one value for each contact, not arrays or lists of values for each contact.

Thanks,

-Conrad

Yes, you can create multiple serial number fields or one memo field that allows you to input multiple entries.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, creating a limited number of serial number fields for each contact is not a desired solution, nor is creating a memo field.

The main reason my client wants the serial numbers in ACT! is to keep track of warranty claims and activity. For example, if there's a phone call from someone requesting warranty service, they want the associate handling the call to be able to make a note of the activity and link it to a serial number listed for that customer. They want each customer in the ACT! database to potentially have tens or even hundreds of serial numbers, with each serial number having additional data values attached to it such as part number and purchase date.

They want to actually work with the serial number data within ACT! to achieve certain goals and tasks -- not just have a simple record of it with nothing else and no real use.

Basically, I want something like this, which is mentioned in the ACT! customer success story regarding Golden Flame Distributing (see PDF on ACT! website):

"Williamson added over 100 new data fields to the software. The company uses the new fields to track information such as model and serial numbers, subdivision, lot number, cross streets, and installation date. Drop-down lists for many of the new fields speed input and ensure the data is entered consistently, maintaining the integrity of the database for accurate reports and queries."

Does something like that require a third party add-on or fiddling with the SDK?

Thanks,

-Conrad

Message Edited by Conrad on 07-31-2008 10:44 PM
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conrad
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

The 10.0.2 maintenance release of ACT! added the ability to create custom tables. Unfortunately, a user interface did not come natively with this release. There are several 3rd party addon developers that have come up with some pretty nice user interfaces to manage the custom tables. The one I have the most experience with is called TopLine Designer from www.toplineresults.com

This sounds like exactly what you need to create the one to many relationship between contacts and serial numbers. BTW: The latest maintenance release of ACT! is 10.0.3 and can be downloaded at no charge from the ACT! web site.

Ron Madara, ACC, APT

BrainSell Technologies.
(201) 853-9317
Copper Contributor

Thanks, Ron. Topline Designer is exactly what we were looking for. It works pretty well.

-Conrad

Copper Super Contributor

Good to hear Conrad. I think you'll be very satisfied with the functionality. And TopLine gives great support.

btw: I'm not an employee of theirs and received no compensation for this endorsement. Smiley Happy

Ron Madara, ACC, APT

BrainSell Technologies.
(201) 853-9317

Hey Ron, thanks for finding exactly what Conrad was looking for.  I'm not familiar with a lot of the addons out there, so its good to see posts from CCs that have more experience with them.

Why not treat the products you've sold as contacts; as people? 

You could use the name field (for example) to record the serial number, and going forward, if you want to track down a particular serial number, you just look it up by the number, just as you would with somebody's name.  This allows you to keep notes on individual serial numbers as well.