Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Product List Field Security

Product List Field Security

[ Edited ]

Hi guys, I hope someone can help.

I can't seem to restrict access to the cost field in the product list.

I have just been through the process of getting a nice product list generated from our manufacturing software which I have imported into Act. 

I do not however seem to be able to set any access privileges to this information. In particular the cost field which is company sensitive information. Not only do I not seem able to restrict users from viewing this field, I seems I can restrict them from changing it either. It doesn't seem to make sense to have a cost field against a product that any sales person can change with any arbitrary value they see fit. 

Am I missing something?

We are using Act 2012 Premium and have applied all the latest service pack

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Product List Field Security

You have ACT! 2012 Premium which provides for field level access control,but you cannot restrict field access for the product list table it seems. As developers we are working on a project now that includes better control over product items. If you email me at the below address, in the future we may be able to help.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Thanks Graeme,

Generally we get along fine with ACT Premium although there are some fundamental weaknesses in the product list table concerning data integrity which almost render the whole application useless. If anyone at anytime can manipulate the cost of an item in the product list, any gross margin reports are at best unreliable, and at worst, could be dangerously misleading.

I will proceed with caution

Best Regards

Duncan

Bronze Elite Contributor

Because we are involved with integrating accounting software with ACT! we are familiar with the requests people have to tighten up security on pricing at the opportunity level. Right now we are involved with a mid-range accounting software integration that calls for improved control over the sales and quoting process within ACT!. So while our focus is on a particular accounting software, the spin off from that will be a module that will run without any accounting software integration but still secure the product and services list and provide for more flexible quoting output from ACT!  

I will post back here with more information on completion

Graeme Leo

Copper Super Contributor

We, too, focus on accounting links. Generally the links allow the quotes to be created FROM the ACT! side, but are really on the accounting system side. This allows the quote to be converted to a sales order (from either side). It also allows the logic of the accounting package to determine pricing and the current cost.

The most complete link is to Sage BusinessWorks. It offers 25 pricing columns by 5 quantity breaks per item with the customer's column being driven by the customer record. In addition, customer-specific pricing is supported for an unlimited number of items. The cost is updated by actual purchases using the selected inventory accounting method.

In addition, almost every back office event, including holds, shipment, payment, can be automatically written to ACT! history.

Don Joseph
Northbrook Consulting Group
www.northbrookconsulting.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

The problem, as pointed out, is a problem with ACT!. With the existing security that applies to the product list in ACT! opportunities, there is no way that any link product at all can integrate with the opportunity workflow without significant customisation within ACT!to maintain security.  

Graeme Leo

Thank you all for your input.  We are using a complex MRP package in order to control the manufacturing and accounting processes and are definitiliy not looking to integrate Sage Accounting in anyway. If anyone does come up with a solution which will give greater security and data integrity with the product list, but does not require any other linkage to Sage Accounts, then I would be delighted to hear from you.