Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems with the importing, creating duplicates in ACT! 2008 Premium (10.0)

Tuned Listener

Problems with the importing, creating duplicates in ACT! 2008 Premium (10.0)

Hello,

I am having issues with the importing process in ACT.  It seems to always import the whole list of contacts, even though some of them already exist in the database, causing duplicates.  I would like to know what steps I am missing or should change so I could resolve having to manually check each contact every time I import.  Below are the steps I take to give you an idea of what I should or shouldn't be doing.  Thanks in advance!

1. The contacts are organized and formatted according to the fields in ACT in Microsoft Excel (Source, Importer, E-Mail, etc.)
  2. Then after they are formatted according to ACT, I save the file as text (tab delimited).
  3. Then in ACT, I start the importing process, by selecting Text Delimited as the file I want to import.
  4. I  then select the text (tab delimited) file, I select Contact Records as the records I would like to import.
  5. Then I select the character as 'Tab' that was used for my file.  I do not select the first record.
  6. I then make sure all the ACT fields match up with that of the text file, and check a few contacts to make sure they correspond correctly to those fields.
  7. For the contact merge options, under if source match destination records, Contact Records: Do Not Replace
  8. Under source records not match destination records, Contact Records: Add
  9. Then I select the box, Confirm Each Match.
  10. I select finish, and the import process begins, importing the whole list, creating multiple duplicates.

Just fyi, I have also used the default settings under the 'contact merge options' where it would 'Replace with newest contact,' but that also lead to importing the whole list, and creating duplicates. I also have the duplicate checking enabled.  I have done different combinations such as (first name, last name, email) and (company, contact, phone), but it still imports the whole list, creating duplicates.  I hope this is enough information to get a pretty good idea of where I went wrong, or the different options I should try.  Its a pain to have to manually search each contact individually to check if they already exist, and it would be such a time saver if I could just import without having to do this.  Thanks, and I greatly appreciate it.

Tuned Listener

Problems Importing in ACT! Premium 2008 (10.0)

Hello,

I am having issues with the importing process in ACT.  It seems to always import the whole list of contacts, even though some of them already exist in the database, causing duplicates.  I would like to know what steps I am missing or should change so I could resolve having to manually check each contact every time I import.  Below are the steps I take to give you an idea of what I should or shouldn't be doing.  Thanks in advance!

1. The contacts are organized and formatted according to the fields in ACT in Microsoft Excel (Source, Importer, E-Mail, etc.)
  2. Then after they are formatted according to ACT, I save the file as text (tab delimited).
  3. Then in ACT, I start the importing process, by selecting Text Delimited as the file I want to import.
  4. I  then select the text (tab delimited) file, I select Contact Records as the records I would like to import.
  5. Then I select the character as 'Tab' that was used for my file.  I do not select the first record.
  6. I then make sure all the ACT fields match up with that of the text file, and check a few contacts to make sure they correspond correctly to those fields.
  7. For the contact merge options, under if source match destination records, Contact Records: Do Not Replace
  8. Under source records not match destination records, Contact Records: Add
  9. Then I select the box, Confirm Each Match.
  10. I select finish, and the import process begins, importing the whole list, creating multiple duplicates.

Just fyi, I have also used the default settings under the 'contact merge options' where it would 'Replace with newest contact,' but that also lead to importing the whole list, and creating duplicates.  I hope this is enough information to get a pretty good idea of where I went wrong, or the different options I should try.  Its a pain to have to manually search each contact individually to check if they already exist, and it would be such a time saver if I could just import without having to do this.  Thanks again!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Problems Importing in ACT! Premium 2008 (10.0)

Ernest,

Something I didn't see mentioned is the use of the Duplicate Checker settings.  These can be found in the Tools > Preferences > General tab > Duplicate Checking button.  You will set up to 3 fields that will be used to determine duplicates and there is a box to check to 'enable' the duplicate checking program.  If that box is unchecked and Duplicate Checking is disabled, the Act! import will not check for duplicates but will instead create all new records.

For more information on Duplicate Checking and the import process: How to Import Contact Data From a Text Delimited File (*.TXT or *.CSV) into an ACT! Database

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your quick response!  Sorry I totally forgot to mention that as well, but I do have the duplicate checking enabled.  The first time I imported I did (first name, last name, and e-mail), the second time I tried the default (company, contact, phone).  Even changing the duplication settings didn't help either in finding the duplicates.  When I do this manually myself, I go under lookup, I first check e-mail, if nothing is found, then I also check the contact and input the name.  This usually finds the contact in the database from my excel file.  For some odd reason, I use those same duplication settings while importing, it has no effect.  Any other ideas what it could be?  Appreciate it.

Tuned Listener

Any Ideas?

Tuned Listener

Re: Problems with the importing, creating duplicates in ACT! 2008 Premium (10.0)

Bump!
Tuned Listener

Re: Problems with the importing, creating duplicates in ACT! 2008 Premium (10.0)

Hello,

I kinda solved the issue I was having when importing through ACT and how it creates duplicates.  I actually just went through different options in the duplicate preferences, and tried different combinations.  The only thing is it finds duplicates while importing when I select one option only, for example if I only use E-Mail, or if I just use Contact to find duplicates.  When I try a 2nd option or even the 3rd option, it will import those duplicates even though those fields DO match against the same contact, which I find really confusing and frustrating.  I guess I'll have to stick with using one option for now, until I can figure out why it doesn't find the duplicates when using a 2nd or 3rd option.  It would be alot more accurate, but this might work for now.  Thanks.