Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems with Outlook Interaction

Problems with Outlook Interaction

We have just installed ACT 2011 Premium. To start with we have only gone with a server upgrade and installing for two users to test the process. We contracted an ACT partner to assist here to make sure we did not have problems with the upgrade.

We have immediately hit a problem with Outlook; obviously caused by the ACT install as it was not there before.

This is highly disappointing as one of the main reasons for upgrading was the alleged superior functionality and tight integration with Outlook. We have moved from ACT 2007 to ACT 2011.

Both systems we updated are different - one is Windows 7 64 bit with Office 2010 32 bit (as we understood there was no compatibility with Office 64 bit) – this had Office already running and it was a fresh install of ACT with no previous version of ACT having been installed on that machine. The other system is Windows XP with Office 2003 – this was an upgrade to a previous version of ACT that had been installed on this machine (ACT 2007). Both are experiencing essentially the same problems:

1. Outlook freezes intermittently - the only repeatable ways of making it freeze are to attempt to delete an appointment in Outlook or to try and disable the ACT add-in via Outlook. We have tried a variety of "solutions" - including disabling the ACT Outlook services through task Manager, disabling Outlook synchronisation and Outlook email integration via ACT, but the problem persists. My colleague tried a third party tool to remove the ACT add-in in Outlook which has made his system more stable but there is no interaction now between ACT and Outlook. Each time Outlook freezes it has to be closed via Windows task Manager and re-started. This has been more than 20 times today just for me.
  2. We attempted to get the calendar synchronisation working but abandoned this for a few reasons. One was that it did not complete and gave a failed message after a while. However it did complete some synchronisation. Some appointments were brought into ACT. What it did do as well is "re-create" a large number of historical appointments that came from its interpretation of recurring appointments - it re-instated old reminders that had been cleared in Outlook - the result was over 200 reminders associated with various historical recurring appointments.
  3. We were going to trial the contact synchronisation, but owing to the above problems decided to abandon this.

We previously purchased an add-on (Email Connect) to achieve the recording of Outlook email in ACT, which worked very well with ACT 2007. The main reason for upgrading was that we were convinced that the integration had finally been sorted out and worked well with 2011. This has not proved to be the case.

Item 1 above is the main issue now. If we could sort out Outlook freezing and enable emails to be recorded in ACT we would settle for that. The other two functions of synchronising calendar and contacts, although highly desirable, we could live without (if we had to).

Can anyone help?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Problems with Outlook Interaction

I found whenever I dismissed or snoozed an alarm, my Outlook would freeze - even when turning off the creation of ACT! calendar items when accepting an Outlook invite.  The only way to resolve this was to change the load behavior of my AVG add-in to 0 (in the registry)- it makes it inactive (vs disabled).  Once I did this, I could have the full integration between ACT! and Outlook.

There's a Knowledge Base article outlining this for Kapersky AntiVirus, but looks like AVG causes the same issue. 

Answer ID 26019

Outlook® Freezes when the Alarms Window Pops Up- After Having Integrated with ACT!

Let me know if you cannot see this information.

Kris Lock

IT Manager

Technology Transfer Services

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

[ Edited ]

We too were experiencing Outlook freezes, usually while deleting appointments in Calendar view or trying to disable the Act add-in from within Outlook. We're on Outlook 2010 (64-bit) and Act Premium 11, and everything else was working fine. We disabled the AVG Outlook add-in and ...

... problem solved!

Hi,

As with the previous posts, I tried various things with the AV (we have Kaspersky),  I attempted to follow the instructions from Sage to make changes to Kaspersky, but even disabling it did not clear the problem.  At the suggestion of a colleauge I uninstalled Kaspersky and suddenly, everything worked fine.

I have now taken Kaspersky off the machines we have that run ACT and replaced it with Symantec End Point Protection Suit (which includes AV). Everything works smoothly now.

Thanks for the posts.

Copper Contributor

I too am having the same problem. I'm currently set up with ACT! 2011, Office 2010 and Kaspersky AV 6.0 all on windows 7 machines. The only way to keep Outlook from freezing up is to either have the antivirus add-in inactive or having the ACT! add-in inactive.  I have Kaspersky until 2014 so I'm really not interested at this point in switching AV providers. And one of the reasons I bought Kaspersky was to protect my Outlook mail so disabling it is not an option for me. If there is anyone out there who knows of any ideas that would help us out, don't hesitate to post. Hopefully Sage will come up with something to help us out but in the mean time I'll be working on it.   

Platinum Super Contributor

Try adding exceptions for ACT! and SQL to your anti-virus software.  Here is an article with the exceptions to add: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I would see that working if there was an issue with the firewall but I don't believe that is the issue. The issue is between the Outlook Addins. The Kaspersky addin is only for detecting and moving spam to my junk folder. When the kaspersky addin is disabled, outlook does not freeze. When the Act addin is disabled, outlook does not freeze. When they are both disabled, outlook does not freeze. It only feezes when the are both enabled. They don't work together. It would be nice if Act and/or Kaspersky could work on this issue so they can be used together. Until then I guess we'll have to keep finding work-arounds.