Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems with ACT for Palm OS 3.0

Copper Contributor

Problems with ACT for Palm OS 3.0

Hi,

When I Setup the custom layout ( 10 fields ) in configuration setup with the fields that I want, everything seems ok, I click finish, exit the setup config and when I go back the fields are now empty not <none> but empty !  Of course, If I synch, I got nothing on my palm.
It's like I cannot use those fields and I dont know why. The fields are in Full access.

If I left the default fields, the synch is ok.

I try 3 times to re-install Act for Palm, try the add/remove program, try the manually remove in the knowledge base, nothing, always the same problem.

Thx for your help,

Seb
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems with ACT for Palm OS 3.0

[ Edited ]
I don't have a Palm, so can't test it... but can you try it in the demo database and see what happens?

Message Edited by GLComputing on 03-22-2008 11:35 PM
Copper Contributor

We used to work a lot with Palms. On our top time we had about 8 Palms syncing towards a 20 user database of Act.

From that time i still know that the integrity of the data is an important issue. I remember that Act skipped the sync from a specific field onwards, as soon as it encountered invalid data.

Please see in Act (tools - define fields) whether you have not made your field of a length which goes beyond the capabilities of your Palm.
(You should not have a field entry of 254 characters if you only need for example 50).
Also: make sure your data is not corrupt. Running diagnostics on the PC side is a must before doing a sync.

We decided to abandon the Act for Palm completely, and we have found out that Companionlink (www.companionlink.com) does a perfect job in keeping the data between the palm or other handheld and act in sync. Of course by doing so, you will have to be aware that act does not sync to an act application anymore; in stead all data is being synced towards the basic scheduler and record database of the handheld.
An additional software program is normally not needed, but could be handy.
In our situation the number of records (> 5000) is still an issue to be aware of, but this should not be a problem for people with less record sized databases.

See if this helps.

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
aka "The Dutch Betatester"

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
The Netherlands
aka 'The Dutch Betatester'
Copper Contributor

For Mike, I cannot try on the demo version without unstalling ACT.

For Dutch, my fields are set for 50 characters, full access. There is a little lock image appear in front of the field because I try to change the security level to make some test. It's now set to Full Access, based on user permission instead of default permission. Is the lock means that I change at least one time the security level ? but with lock or no lock, still no synch to my palm.

What do you mean by PC Diagnostic ? What kind of diagnostic ?

I know about companionlink but I choose instead to buy Act for Palm ESPECIALLY for the custom fields... hah ! what a joke ! Will they give me my money back... yeah right, I will have to buy Companionlink, so another 100 $ down the drain because of Act for Palm.

I am getting very, but very tired of so many problems with ACT, it's unbelievable how slow it is ( even try everything they say to improve the speed). , email problem ( internal or with outlook ), bad convert from ACT 6.0, Mail merge problems, etc. can't do this or that, have to buy an addon. Already buy two and probably need two more at least... when you need support... NOT ! by Sage, oh yeah, buy our support plan, we'll only confirm that we can't do anything about your problem but thanks for you money, maybe the next update... who knows. Don't get me talking about there WONDERFUL knowledge base, never see something that ridiculous for searching. I am starting to believe that they made ACT 10 so bad to force us to buy the support plan. The thing is that the people in customer service really try to help you, but they often cant do nothing because of the program. I had to reinstall 3 times so far ACT and Office to resolve some issues... getting tired because all of my customization are not saved in the layout... had to do them again and again. reinstall the addons.

I'll tell you one thing, if it was not for you guys, Mike Lazarus, Dutch and other for helping us, I would have start looking for another solution than ACT... but I still believe... because ACT 6.0 had less problems in my case.

Sorry for the outburst... and many thx to you guys for trying to help

Sebastien

Platinum Elite Contributor

sdeveley wrote:

For Mike, I cannot try on the demo version without unstalling ACT.

Why would you need to uninstall ACT! for this?
You'd just need to open the demo database, set it up with the Palm and send the data.

The only issue is resending all the demo, then overwriting with your data once it works