Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems to connect database field to a new contact layout

Copper Contributor

Problems to connect database field to a new contact layout

One of our Customer has a strange little Problem.

In use is Act Premium V16. We try to create a new contact layout because the old is to confusing.

If we try to visualize/connect a custom (text) database field with a "field"- field in the layout designer, it doesn't appear in the

recommended fieldlist.

What could be the reason?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Problems to connect database field to a new contact layout

1.png

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Administrator

Hi benoit22,

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your question.
Could you perhaps try describing your issue in a different way?

We can provide German speaking phone support, which is available by calling 069 6435 08433.
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the Answer.

My explaination of the problem was a little fuzzy.

I think the customers database has some problems. Part of the Act-DB is a NVARCHAR(128) - Field.

But there is no possibility in layout designer to connect this field with a "field"- field because it does not appear in the selection.

A solution could be to create a similar new field in the database and copy the content of the original field in the new field.

Then connect the new field to the layout in the layout designer.

Administrator

So are you saying that you have added a new field by going to Tools > Define Fields > Create new field and the placed a new field in the Layout Designer, but the field you have defined, does not appear as a selectable field in this box:

Act!_2016-03-24_13-31-38.png

Do you already have the field added to that layout? Each field may only appear once in each layout.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exactly, the field does not appear as a selectable field in the Select-Field-Box and I checked the whole layout for a appearance of the field. Nothing. :-(

Administrator

[ Edited ]

I think it's likely to be one of two things:

You can make sure the field definitely does not exist in the layout by pressing F4 in the Layout Designer and checking in the dropdown list for the field name. The brackets after the name indicate what kind of object it is. This lists all fields that are placed on the layout. See the screenshot below. Selecting a field in the dropdown will highlight it on the layout, as the arrow shows:

Act!_2016-03-24_17-02-44.png

If it does not appear in this list, what does the Field Type show as in Define Feilds?

You can see this the column highlighted in this screenshot:

Act!_2016-03-24_17-13-35.png

For example if your Field Type is Memo, using the normal Field button in the Layout Designer, will not show this field in the Field Selector window. You would have to use the Memo Field button. The same is also true for Yes/No Fields and Picture Fields.