Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems installing ACT! 2010 premium on W2k3R2 + SQL 2005 standard

Problems installing ACT! 2010 premium on W2k3R2 + SQL 2005 standard

I've spent a few days trying to install ACT! Premium for Workgroups on one of our servers here, with SQL 2005 Standard. The reason for this is that this is an application server and I don't want to run SQL Express for these databases (ACT is not the only one using SQL on the server).

I have tried the same thing on Windows 2008R2 (64-bits only), 2008 and 2003R2 server to no avail. After a clean installation and installing all the required updates, I set up an ACT7 instance as per the instructions in the KB and upgraded SQL to the latest service pack.

Then I start the ACT! installation, provide the instance's sa password and the installer runs fine up until the 'Finalizing installation' part. There it will hang indefinitely and I have to kill it. Result: broken installation, can't uninstall (even the special uninstaller doesn't do the job right).

The weird thing is that it happens with every Windows variant (it's VMWare ESX4, so luckily I can install them quickly).

Notable is that I had to download the installer using a link provided by my reseller because the DVD was broken.

Right now I'm out of options, there are no clues whatsoever as to what is going wrong. No installer logs, nothing in the event logs, and no activity whatsoever at the point that the installer stops doing anything. Any clues would be most welcome. Smiley Happy

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Problems installing ACT! 2010 premium on W2k3R2 + SQL 2005 standard

Have you tried doing the 'typical' install with the SQL express and will that work?

If you do not need the additional horsepower of SQL standard, there is little downside to installing the Express if that will actually install.   A single server can have - what - 16 ? - instances of SQL server.  The Act! installed instance will mind its own business.

Aside from that, is there some other environmental factor that is consistent among your instances that could be causing your pain?

Re: Problems installing ACT! 2010 premium on W2k3R2 + SQL 2005 standard

I have tried the typical install just now and it looks like that works just fine.

I also just tried the same with SQL 2008, but the exact same thing happens. I don't know what the difference is, I don't have the idea there is any special factor other than this is a virtual environment. They are clean, vanilla server installs and there are no exotic configurations.

I guess I'll have to go with the express setup although it's not my preferred setup. It just annoys the hell out of me that this doesn't work, and especially that it's completely unclear what is going on during this 'finalizing installation' phase. It's not like I'm a newbie user here and I've dealt with SQL server enough to be able to set something like this up.

Thanks for the advice anyways. Smiley Happy