Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems importing data into ACT! Premium 2011

Problems importing data into ACT! Premium 2011

Hi everybody

I've been trying to import additional contact data (merge with existing ones) into ACT! from either xlsx, csv or txt. Neither of the imports work even though the wizard says the data is ok.

I have also tried exporting the data of one record from ACT!, adding the additional data to test it there and re-import the file. It didn't work either.

The only way the file is imported is when I check "Confirm each match" on the Specify Merge Options and then when the files is being imported (after the wizard has closed) and a match is confirmed, I choose "Create new contact" (which I actually don't want to do). It then creates a new record with the imported data. Of course, I don't want that because then I have duplicated records. If you, however, choose the other option "Match action: Merge", then nothing is imported at all even though the additional data is shown in the respective fields above.....

Btw, I've tried different settings on "Duplicate Checking" without any positive results.

Could anybody help me with this problem? It is really important that I can import data as I have like more than 2'000 records to update with a new contract number which would take forever by hand.

Thank you so much.

Martin

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems importing data into ACT! Premium 2011

What you are trying to do can't be done with the ACT! import, the merge will only work to fill empty fields it won't update existing data. What you need is a third party import utility like OakMerge which can update existing field data. 

Be sure to make a safety backup before trying any such database update.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for your response, Roy.

It seems my original post probably wasn't exact enough.

I am trying to import additional data to existing contacts. The fields they are imported into are presently empty. They have been created recently and need to be filled by import as there are more than 2'000 records. The first column in my Excel sheet contains the ACT-ID no. which is identical with the no. in ACT!, the 2nd and 3rd column contain the data (formatted identical to the fields in ACT) that need to be imported in those empty fields in ACT.

This import doesn't work whatever way I try. (xls, csv, txt, different settings on "Duplicate checking", etc.)

I would highly appreciate if anybody could tell me how I can make this import using the existing import-function in ACT!

Thank you very much.

Silver Super Contributor

The data that you are importing has to be formatted properly to be imported into ACT!.  Try importing 1 or 2 lines of data until you get it to work properly.  I believe you also need to import the field that you are matching on although that seems to be a little redundant to me.  I wrote my own importer so I don't use the built in importer very often but when I have used it in the past it worked fairly reliably.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Hi Stan,
thanks for your response.
I am trying this whole procedure with just one data line at the moment and it just doesn't work. I have spent hours with it, trying different things but nothing got me a proper import.
Silver Super Contributor

I usually use a tab delimited text file to do my imports with.  Try exporting a single contact record to a tab delimited text file and then try using the format that file uses to do your import.  You could try changing something in that file and then importing it back in to verify that it works.  You can easily save an Excel file as a tab delimited text file.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Hi Stan,
thanks again for your response.
I have tried your suggestion in many different ways, exporting data, changing things or deleting the data in Act! so they can be re-imported but unfortunately to no avail.
I tried it in the Demo-DB as well as in our working DB (both ACT 2011) but that didn't make a difference as it wouldn't work in either.
It's entirely mysterious how that cannot work. Interesting, however, somebody with a different Act (ACT 2013 - but the same settings) could import the same file that I couldn't.
I have no clue what I can be doing here to remedy the situation. Everybody is waiting for data to be imported in our database. Doing it manually is out of the question as there are more than 2'000 records.

Thanks to anybody who can direct me towards a solution.
Martin
Silver Super Contributor

If it is working on one of the other PCs in the office it would probably be easiest to just use that PC.  I'm not sure why the import fails on your system.  I could help you find out but it would probably cost you more than you want to pay.  I suspect that you have an issue with your .NET installation.  You could try uninstalling .NET and reinstalling it.  That might fix the issue.  You'll need to get a tool to do it with.  You can use this tool.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Good luck!

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com