Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems exporting contacts in ACT! 2012 Premium

Vad
Copper Contributor

Problems exporting contacts in ACT! 2012 Premium

Hi all,

I have big problem with export contacts in ACT! 2012 Premium version 14.1.108.0 English (Europe) in a Remote Desktop environment under Windows 2008 Server R2 Standard SP1 (64-bit). I need to merge 2 ACT! databases and I try to do it by export data from both databases to a new database. I created a new database with the necessary set of fields and try to export contacts (with history, documents, activities, etc.) from one of my old database to this new database in parts (by record managers).

First time when I create lookup by record manager and export this lookup to new database the export process is normal, at least as it seems. But when Icreate lookup by another record manager and try to export this lookup ACT! shows that contacts are exported, starts to export histories and freezes after a while. I tried to wait an hour, 2 hours, 4 hours... without any success. There wasn't any error message, warning and so on. The result doesn't depend on number of exporting records - it may be 50 records, 100 records, 600 records - the situation is identical. ACT! freezes and becomes unresponsive and I have to end task by Task manager and start ACT! again. 

Can anybody help me with this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Vad

Regards,
Vad

Re: Problems exporting contacts in ACT! 2012 Premium

This could be due to the number of histories you are trying to merge, or if some of the histories are corrupted. You can try running maintenance on the database prior to the export. Additionally, to test and see if the histories are causing it, you can create another database and try the export to that database without exporting the histories and see if it goes through. 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Vad,

We have a service where we can merge 2 databases into one... and as this works on a copy feature we do not loose any History/Note/Activity/Group/Company/Contact/opportunity/Attachment/Secondary Contacts/private Contacts

if you are interested, this is the link to the service.

We do need the backup of both databases, and about 1h of your time to discuss the database changes, then the merge can run (i.e. on the weekend, so you can drop the database on Friday, and (depending on the amount of records) receive the backup of the merged Database on Sunday /Monday morning

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Vad
Copper Contributor

Ingo,

Nice to get your answer here.

I can't accept your proposal because I have some security reasons. That's why I try to find right tool for the merging.

ACTDiag functionality doesn't help me, because ACTDiag or ACT! doesn't catch situation when fields property was modified directly (like fiel lenght was setting to 4000 characters). ACT! catchs it as soon as you open the property field window. ACTDiag doesn't track such "modifications" at all.

Now, I'm trying to merge two big databases by hand using ACT! merge procedure. It's funny to see the speed of merging (300 contact records per hour).

Do you have solution as a tool, not service?

Regards,
Vad
Vad
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Elise,

I was apply ALL maintenance procedures which are built-in ACTDiag (reindex, clear cache, repair database, refresh all kinds of index, rebuild metadata, rebuild security). The situation was not corrected and ACTDiag can't show me records with corrupted data. I have more then 90000 records in 2 databases in total. And if I'll starting analyze from records to records, I'll finishing under 10 years. It's not solution for me.

ACTDiag shows me that all are ok. But when I open the property some fields I find that some property was changed (like lenght of field was changed to 4000 characters). Why ACTDiag doesn't catch such corruption? I don't have an answer for this question.

My oppinion is ACT! functionality never was testing on big array of data (more then 50.000 records and more then 20 users). Otherwise, ACT! developers found solution many times ago.

It's not a claim. And I don't wait solution from Swiftpage. It's just fact which I see by my eyes.

Please don't answer me formal solution.. I'm already did it, because I'm not novice in ACT! I was trying localise ACT! 3.0 more then 10 years ago, I remember ACT! 6.0 for Windows. It was most stable version of ACT!

I was trying to create new database and only contact records was transfering to this database. But it was going with the same speed as transfering full database and I can't understand how I transfer history, notes, attachment after that.

Sorry for long comment to you.

Regards,
Vad
Bronze Elite Contributor

I wonder why you are export 2 databases to 3rd one? Why not import into the largest existing database. With the report of a 4000 wide field is it a Char or Memo field? I have a client with 750,000 records and another with 500 users so ACT can perform at these levels.