Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems adding contacts

Problems adding contacts

I'm trying to add a New Contact, but when I try adding it to a Group or hit the arrow to scroll to the next record, a window pops up saying, "This contact no longer exists in the database" and all the information I just added disappears.  I'm on a small network (one "main" computer (desktop) and two remote databases on laptops) and seem to be able to add Contacts from the desktop, but not from the laptops.  But when I do add a Contact to the desktop computer, the laptops do not recognize it when I Syncronize the databases.

I'm running ACT 2007 Premium for Workgroups (9.0)

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: Problems adding contacts

Which version of ACT exactly? Go to Help > About to see the version number...

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

I'm using ACT! for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (EX Edition) Version 9.0.1.162
Platinum Elite Contributor

Was the database converted from ACT! 6?
What happens if you add a contact on the laptop and just click save?
What happens if you try this on the laptop with the demo database?

I belive it was converted from ACT 6.
Saving it causes the same response.
I tried adding to the demo, and it worked fine.

What is frustrating is we converted to the newer version over a year ago, and this just started happening.  It started to happen after I was trying to change fields from the "Tools" menu under "Design Layouts" from the laptop.  I encountered some funky results, so I went to the desktop to make changes and the problems seems to compound.  I've looked into changing the field size, but now when I click on add a new contact, some of the fields say NULL.

This might be too difficult to answer online.  I may have to locate a person to come here.

The article you cite tells us:   You can resolve this by changing the value for Field length to equal (or exceed) the number of characters in the Default value --or-- changing the number of characters in the Default Value, to be equal or less then the Field length. Use the follow steps:

I have quite a few fields and the tool doesn't show me default value or Field value without clicking on every field. Is there a way to have this information populate in the Tools menu?

So one would need to guess at which Field might have an issue or look at each individual field?  I may have 200+ fields

Nickel Super Contributor

You can run a report in actdiag and check the column "Default Value".  This will show you the fields that do have a default value setting.

(Start | Run ... actdiag

Databases | Database list

Select your database

Right click on your database in the list...database reports | database structure | fields list to csv file)

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT