Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems Syncing Multiple Databases

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Problems Syncing Multiple Databases

I have Act for Real Estate 11.1 and am having issues syncing multiple databases. We have five seperate databases setup, but in order to sync each one, the main database must be opened, then sync'd with the remote database, then the next opened, etc (since you can only have one DB open at a time). I need to be able to sync all five databases at one time, as someone is not always at the main system. Any suggestions on what I can do to correct this? Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bobbob
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Problems Syncing Multiple Databases

Hello Bob,

If the sync is failing, then it sounds like the built in application sync service is being used rather that the network sync service. You said in your latest post that you uninstalled the network sync service (from the server?). Did you reinstall it? If so, did you also go to Tools/Synchronize and uncheck "Accept Incoming Syncs"? This turns off the application sync service. So, in summary, verify these things:

- Network Sync Service is installed only on the server and the service is started

- The version the Network Sync Service installed matches the version of ACT! installed 

- You have added the Publisher database to the network sync service

- "Accept Incoming Syncs" is unchecked

- The sync port your are using (by default 65100 ) is open and listening (can verify by typing netstat -a from the DOS command window); make sure this sync port has been added as an exception to your firewall. If there is a problem with this port, then you can try a different port, such as 65101, 65102, or 65200. If you change the port number, then the remotes will also have to change to this port number by going to Tools/Synchronization Panel/Manage Connection Information

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

The version of ACT! you have uses the built-in application sync service. This service requires that the main database be open when syncing. If you need to sync multiple databases, then you will need to upgrade to the Premium version of ACT! for Real Estate. This version comes with the Network Sync Service, which does not require that the main database be open for sync and can support multiple database synchronization.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Hi Greig,

Thanks for the reply. I do actually have Premium for Real Estate (sorry for not mentioning that). But, every time I try to sync the databases (network sync) it says it can not sync, then when I open the main db it syncs just fine. I called ACT two times on this and they said the main db's must be open to sync and there is no way around this. Any suggestions? Thanks. (the error message reads "unable to find sync server object. server error description: failed to find main database). I then go and open that db on the main system and it syncs just fine.....maybe a hidden setting somewhere?

Have you installed the Network Sync Service? Look in your Control Panel under Add/Remove Programs to ceck. If you have, then you should see the icon for the service in your system tray (orange and green arrows). If you need to install and configure the service, please see the following Knowledgebase article:

How To Install And Configure Network Sync Service For ACT! By Sage Premium 2009 (11.0)

Once you instal this service on the server, you will need to go to Tools/Synchronize and uncheck Accept Incoming Syncs. This turns off the application sync so the Network Sync can take over.

Greig Hollister

Nickel Super Contributor

Maybe, if you have installed the Network Sync Service, you may need to revise the synchronization port.

however Read about Knowledgebase:

1. How to Enable Both Application and Network Synchronization to Run at the Same Time

Tuned Listener

I'm still getting the same error message that it cannot find the main database. I go to the main DB and uncheck "accept incoming sync", then when I go back to the remote DB and try to sync, it still gives the same error message. Any other suggestions on what might be going on?
JM
Nickel Contributor

Bobbob,

-Have you changed the Machine Name of the Computer hosting the Sync Server after you created the remote DB?

-Confirm Port 65100 or what ever you used is what you used when creating remote DB files?

Make sure your router allows for TCP/UDP traffic and turn off firewalls on server PC and remote PC to see if they are blocking it.  

-Turn one firewall side on at a time to see if you need to define opening up TCP/UDP ports and applications which is both Sync server services and ACT!.

-If your running Network Sync Server and never got sync to work unless the Server PC was running ACT DB what VPN product are you using so the remotes are able to find the machine name to IP address route? 

Such as I installed on Host PC and remotes LogmePro.com Hamachi-2, https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/hamachi2/

-Lastly are you running on the remotes the ACT's Scheduler at set times far enough apart to allow each remote enough time to complete the sync befoe the next one comes in?

JM

Tuned Listener

Hi All,

Responses in red.  

Bobbob,

-Have you changed the Machine Name of the Computer hosting the Sync Server after you created the remote DB? NO, NAME NEVER CHANGED.

-Confirm Port 65100 or what ever you used is what you used when creating remote DB files? YES, BOTH THE SAME PORT #

Make sure your router allows for TCP/UDP traffic and turn off firewalls on server PC and remote PC to see if they are blocking it.   

-Turn one firewall side on at a time to see if you need to define opening up TCP/UDP ports and applications which is both Sync server services and ACT!. TURNED OFF BOTH AND TRIED TO SYNC, AND STILL CAN ONLY SYNC WHEN THAT PARTICULAR DB IS OPEN ON THE MAIN SERVER....IT STATES "UNABLE TO AQUIRE SYNC SERVER OBJECT. SERVER ERROR SESCRIPTION. FAILED TO FIND MAIN DATABASE (DB NAME HERE) FOR SYNC. CONTACT ADMIN."

-If your running Network Sync Server and never got sync to work unless the Server PC was running ACT DB what VPN product are you using so the remotes are able to find the machine name to IP address route?  NO PARTICULAR PROGRAM, JUST THE AT&T WIRELESS ROUTER AND SOFTWARE TO SET EVERYTHING UP. WHEN I OPEN UP THE TOOL I SEE THE NETWORK AND THE THREE COMPUTERS ON IT.....DO I STILL NEED TO INSTALL THE PROGRAM YOU SUGGESTED BELOW?

Such as I installed on Host PC and remotes LogmePro.com Hamachi-2, https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/hamachi2/

-Lastly are you running on the remotes the ACT's Scheduler at set times far enough apart to allow each remote enough time to complete the sync befoe the next one comes in? NO AUTOMATIC SCHEDULES SET UP, JUST MANUALLY SELECT SYNC WHEN i WANT TO UPDATE, AS THERE ARE PARTICULAR TIMES I NEED NEW DATA JUST ENTEREDT ASAP.

JM

Thanks in advance...I thought this would be a realy easy fix, but does not look like it  :-(   lol. Very stange that it will sync and find it when open but will not when closed on the main DB.

Regards,

Bob

JM
Nickel Contributor

Bob,

Sorry if I ask dumb questions but its hard with Posts to get the whole picture of what you have so far.  I feel your on the Publisher PC and doing a Sync now? Which does not communicate to remotes to sync.  The remotes must do the Sync now and or setup scheduler.

1. Main PC with DB does not have to be a server is called the (Publisher) to confirm from Windows Start peform the run command ACTDIAG.EXE and select Databases | Database List and view your DB if Syncing shows Publisher.

2. I say yes you need a hardware or software VPN set up to create a WAN network, unless someone else can explain to without install Hamachi or hire an ACT CC to do this and than you will understand it all and maintain it yourself.  Because it is tricky if you have not done it before and don't have time to waist.

3. Dumb but I have to ask did you install from ACT CD the Network Sync Server or Internet Sync, because I'm covering the Network?

There would be in Windows lower right task tray and icon wiht green and orange arrows that you can double clikc or right click to open up and see the server control window opened and showing the \\computername\MyDBname and the lower left button Stop Sync Service which tells me DB is listening for sync requests.

4. I run ACT Premium 12 SP-1 and when you install a Hot fix or SP(Service Pack) you need to make sure you uinstall and install the latest verison of Sync server.

JM

Tuned Listener

No dumb questions, they are all good.....it is hard to sometimes figure out info from a simple posting  :-)

For #1 I did check the PC which has the main DB's and it does say Publisher...I looked on the remote DB and it would not allow me to check it, that option was greyed out.

#2 - I will certainly give this a shot and try to setup.

#3 - Yes I do have the network sync installed. I do have the arrows at the bottom also. Also I did check the arrows and what DB's were listed and I did see that the DB's were listed as the computer I was on "bob". For instance the computer I am looking at is named say "bob" and the database is from the main computer "sally". When I look at the sync button on the remote DB it says "bob-pc/DBname" When I look at Sally's PC which has the main DB's on it (the Publisher) it says "sally-pc/DBname". Can I assume this is incorrect that the remote DB should also say "sally-pc/DBname" and this is where the #2 above would come in allowing me to access Sally's PC to add that DB name?

Maybe not, but was hoping that might be the quick and easy answer?

Thanks in advance,

Bob