Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems Editing Templates on Windows 7 Machines

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problems Editing Templates on Windows 7 Machines

I recently added a few Windows 7 machines (32 bit).  We are using Act Premium for Workgroups 2009 (vs 11) and MS Office 2007.  Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to edit a template (for a mail merge).  It will not save any changes made to a template.  One of two things will happen.   It will either appear to save, but then when you open the document it will just be a totally blank page, or when you try to save an error will come up saying the document is already in use,please try again later (and this is even if you try to give the document and brand new name).  It also will not let you copy and paste changes into a new document.  It seems the only way to get around this is to create a new document and retype all the text and then it will allow me to save the adt file.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jgardner1975
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: Problems Editing Templates on Windows 7 Machines

We have seen this before and tried a lot of things. I'm not sure what the cause of the problem but I did find a solution.  Try doing a save copy as or restoring from a back up with a restore as.

If you want to keep the same database name, you will need to do a backup,  take the production database off line by  detaching from SLQ via ACT diag. Move the current production database to an alternate locaion after you have detached it.  (if you don't detach it or stop sql first, it won't move the whole thing.

Then do a File, Resore as from the backup.  to the original file location (now that you have moved the original.

Test Test Test. Make sure your proble has disapeared, make sure you brought the correct backup, etc. 

Failry technical stuff, so if youre not comfortable, consider your favorite ACT Consultant.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jgardner1975
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

We have seen this before and tried a lot of things. I'm not sure what the cause of the problem but I did find a solution.  Try doing a save copy as or restoring from a back up with a restore as.

If you want to keep the same database name, you will need to do a backup,  take the production database off line by  detaching from SLQ via ACT diag. Move the current production database to an alternate locaion after you have detached it.  (if you don't detach it or stop sql first, it won't move the whole thing.

Then do a File, Resore as from the backup.  to the original file location (now that you have moved the original.

Test Test Test. Make sure your proble has disapeared, make sure you brought the correct backup, etc. 

Failry technical stuff, so if youre not comfortable, consider your favorite ACT Consultant.

(866)710 4228

Ug, I'm definitely not comfortable doing that.  How do I find a local Act consultant?

Silver Contributor

You will find a list of the ACCs here.  http://sagesoftwarecertifiedconsultants.com/

Most of us are able to do this type of thing remotely.  Saves you a trip charge.

(866)710 4228

There has to be a better solution to this problem, it seems like that is an extreme measure to take to edit a template!

I know it sounds extreme, but as it turns out, it really wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be and only took a few minutes to restore the database.  It appears that the problem was actually caused by the database getting corrupted (as slowly but surely all of the computer (not just the Win 7 ones) started experiencing the same problem).  

my It person said - he can not do it as it is too dangerous.

It's definitely not dangerous. I was nervous about doing it too, so we restored the database first to a different location with a different name just so that I could just make sure that it was okay before putting it back where it belonged. Perhaps put your IT person in touch with the above Act Consultant (Jon Klubnik) if he or she would feel more comfortable with having an expert help. I used him and not only did he fix my database, but he taught me a bunch of useful things regarding autoback-ups and restoring.