Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with opening an existing database on SAGE Act

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problem with opening an existing database on SAGE Act

A colleague of mine sent me a SAGE ACT Premium 2013 database that he had been working on. I have been trying to open the database with my own Sage ACT but I am getting an error which says that the database could not be located on the computer. For this database I have noticed that I do not have a ALF and ADF file, only a PAD file. Could this be the reason for this error?

I am quite new to Sage ACT so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nadine
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Problem with opening an existing database on SAGE Act

Hello Nadine,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You are correct, you will need the ALF, ADF, and 'database files' folder. The PAD is simply a pointer file to locate the ADF. You will need to get rid of the PAD file and open the database using the ADF (this will recreate the PAD for later use).
Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nadine
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Nadine,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You are correct, you will need the ALF, ADF, and 'database files' folder. The PAD is simply a pointer file to locate the ADF. You will need to get rid of the PAD file and open the database using the ADF (this will recreate the PAD for later use).
Greg Martin
Sage

Dear all, I am the other colleague

I tried copying the files but I got an error saying that the files are in use by SQL server Agent (ACT7) however I could not stop the service since it isn’t started

How can I copy the files to her computer?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello chrisdarmanin & Nadine,
ACT! databases cannot be copied while they are attached to the SQL server, so the easiest way to get them from one machine to another is to make a backup and restore it. Backup the database on " chrisdarmanin" 's machine, send the backup file (.zip) to "Nadine", then "Nadine" would restore it in her copy of ACT!, using the Restore As option. This method would only apply if "Nadine" wants to use a standalone copy of the database, not share it with "chrisdarmanin".

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.