Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with file attachments modified on remote database (GUID added to filename)

Copper Contributor

Problem with file attachments modified on remote database (GUID added to filename)

When a document is created and attached to a contact record on a main database (using the documents tab) and then opened and modified through a remote database, the remote adds the GUID (for the contact record to which the file is attached) to the file name.

Sage says this is by design and I can understand this because it lets network users know that the original file attachment has been modified.

THE PROBLEM IS THIS:

During synchronization (in the remote database), the Library Document History is changed so the remote database correctly opens the modified file (with the GUID added to the filename).  However, the Library Document History is not changed on the main database so the file on the documents tab and the link on the history tab are not modified during the sync.  The result: users on the main database don't know that the file has been modified.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about. 

I create a file in word named "Contract Joe Smith.docx" and attach it to a contact record.

A remote user synchronizes and opens, modifies and saves "Contract Joe Smith.docx" (using the Edit Document icon on the Documents tab).

During synchronization, the remote database changes the file name by adding the GUID for the contact record.  The new file name is now: "Contract Joe Smith  bae08bb9-fca6-44c9-a3f9-25d9198b0bd8.docx"  Also, on the History Tab in the remote, the Library Document History is modified so the remote database correctly opens the new filename.

PROBLEM:

On the remote database in the Attachments folder I have one file after the sync: "Contract Joe Smith  bae08bb9-fca6-44c9-a3f9-25d9198b0bd8.docx"

But on the main database in the Attachments folder I have 2 files:

"Contract Joe Smith  bae08bb9-fca6-44c9-a3f9-25d9198b0bd8.docx"

"Contract Joe Smith.docx" (the original)

Moreover, if I open the file on the documents tab (or from the history) on the main database, it opens "Contract Joe Smith.docx" (the original) SO I HAVE NO IDEA THAT THE FILE HAS BEEN MODIFIED.

THE TWO EASIEST SOLUTIONS:

Change the code so remote databases can only open attachments as Read Only.  This would force remote database users to rename and reattach modified documents.

Or, change the code so the Library Document History (and Documents Tab) is updated to point to the new file name just like in the remote database (so the modified file can be opened).