Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with SQL Install on windows 7 ACT 2012

Bronze Contributor

Problem with SQL Install on windows 7 ACT 2012

I have a client where the SQL install fails everytime on Windows 7 machines. So I have to do a manual install.  I have no problem with doing this but one machine recently

a) Did manual install and made sure both ACT7 instance and Browser are running

b) Install ACT and it did not attach to the instance

c) Uninstalled and reinstalled but no attachment.

d) Ran SecurityCmdLnApp.exe to attach to ACT7 Instance - successful

So after this was able to attach and upgrade database and it now opens and appears to work correctly

Problem is that in ACTdiag I notice that the default SQL databases Master.MDF, Model.MDF, Msdb.MDF, Tempdb.MDF none of these are listed. I have tried to attach from within ACTdiag but without success.

additional Info

Activated and logged in using Local Administrator account

Removed and reinstalled multiple times

There must be a simpler way that install, uninstall, reboot, reinstall hoping this will work.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Nickel Contributor

Re: Problem with SQL Install on windows 7 ACT 2012

Paul, these are not listed anymore in ACTDiag for 2012 but are attached to the instance you can see this through Studio Manager if you want to check. When ever you do a manual install you need to run the SecurityCmdLnApp.exe especially if ACT! was already installed.
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Bronze Contributor

Re: Problem with SQL Install on windows 7 ACT 2012

Thanks Travis,

I must say I did not notice this on my own test install but will go back and check.

This is the first time I have had the issue as normally I will remove any ACT! stuff if I am going to do a manual install and it will ask for the password so maybe this is just happening in 2012. Will test some further as it seem unique to Windows 7.

These issues with SQL are very frustrating.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.