Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with ACT! 2009 11.1 Hot Fix 1

Platinum Elite Contributor

Problem with ACT! 2009 11.1 Hot Fix 1

During the install on 3 machines, I have a number of MsInstaller Error Event IDs similar to:

Detection of product '{396CE0B5-DC06-46D2-A870-47798143AE85}', feature 'Framework' failed during request for component '{CB2E951D-BDB7-4EE5-8DCC-6EAC7B0CEBB2}' For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

After re-boot and starting ACT!, I have a dozen .NET runtime optimatation Event IDs 1101 like:

.NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Failed to compile: C1.C1Zip, Version=1.1.20051.31, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bc8d9c59cf1b601f . Error code = 0x80070002 For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any ideas?

Re: Problem with ACT! 2009 11.1 Hot Fix 1

[ Edited ]

I get the same errors on Windows 2003 server and XP, but the only VistaX64 didn't seem to have an issue.

I think that it *might* be ngen.exe and mscorsvw.exe still running for some time after the HF is complete... maybe rebooting too soon causes the failure? The Vista machine is much faster and might explain the lack of error on it.

A theory to test and see what parts might not be properly installed/configured.

If so, maybe the HotFix complete dialog needs to be delayed till they are finished.

Message Edited by GLComputing on 05-02-2009 08:11 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Mike, there is no real issue here and this will not prevent the application from working.

This issue would be the same if you installed Gold media and immediately rebooted.  You have interrupted the asynchronous NGEN routine so that is where the errors are coming from.

Since NGEN is not a priority on the system, it finishes jobs as soon as it can.

Having the finish panel wait for NGEN is not a reality for a number of reasons, the 3 main ones are:

1) Since it finishes when it sees fit, you could be waiting a long time until the finish panel is presented, which isn't really acceptable.

2) NGEN doesn't return a "finish" routine, rather it just stops processing, so there is no effective way to know when it is done and prompt the finish screen.

3) Since this routine isn't a critical feature / function to allowing ACT! to work, this isn't too concerning.

Bottom line is don't install and immediately reboot the machine.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Thanks for the confirmation I was on the right track :-)

Would there be any value (eg performance) in manually running NGEN from the command line?

Is the mscorsvw.exe part of NGEN or seperate?

Nickel Elite Contributor

NGEN is a seperate executable.

Just install the hotfix and don't immediately reboot.  NGEN will eventually finish just fine.

Running the batch file likely will return a bunch of warnings or errors.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

I'll re-run the HF and let you know if any issues...

I've always found windows more stable if you re-boot after an install... I'll have to watch for thing still completing after the install closes.

BTW: On my W2K3 server with APFW, I get this error when I try to run it. If I extract to a folder and run HotFixWrapper.exe, it seems fine

---------------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\MLazarus\Desktop\ACT1110HotFix.exe
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
OK   

ACT1110HotFix.exe actually stays in memory till ngen completes.  Waited till it went, then re-booted. No more .NET Runtime optimization errors.

I still get the MsInstaller errors during the install (XP and W2K3)... they are also seem to be in the ngen.log - let me know if you want to have a look. I can see them appear during the install

Nickel Elite Contributor

There is nothing to be concerned about here.  The stuff in the NGEN log is more than likely due to attempting to reNGEN stuff that already has a native image created.  I wouldn't waste alot of time here, the application works just the same.

-thanks

Matthew McFadden

Ok, I'll give it a test over the weekend...

But the MsInstaller errors even happened with the first attempt.

Also, re the permissions error - I am an admin and it runs after manually extracting.

Not sure yet, but I think it's the IE enhanced security on W2K3 that doesn't like it or the trusted zone doesn't allow "Launching applications and unsafe files"

Just thought I'd pass that on if anyone else can't run the file... odd that the Wrapper runs ok once extracted.

MMcFadden wrote:

1) Since it finishes when it sees fit, you could be waiting a long time until the finish panel is presented, which isn't really acceptable.

2) NGEN doesn't return a "finish" routine, rather it just stops processing, so there is no effective way to know when it is done and prompt the finish screen.

3) Since this routine isn't a critical feature / function to allowing ACT! to work, this isn't too concerning.

Bottom line is don't install and immediately reboot the machine.

thanks

BTW Matt, Other vendors, like Adobe products (even Reader), also do an NGEN optimise after an install or update, but they have a gass guage running till it completes. So I'm not sure your points 1 and 2 are correct.

Even the 11.1HF1 knows as the Hotfix wrapper does stay in memory till it's finished

It might be worthwhile looking into a screen that says something like:

"ACT! is being optimised for your system. You may use ACT! now, but for best stability, do not logout or reboot till this screen has closed"

So many of us like to reboot after any install or update... both because I find Windows to be more stable that way and also to be sure everything will start up if the system re-boots later without a tech handy.

I've even had a message from some of the India phone support who have seen this and thanked me for this thread so they knew what to tell the user.

For the limited amount of code this would take in the installer, I think it's worth it as it might take away one more install issue.