Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem opening Outlook. Act 19.2

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problem opening Outlook. Act 19.2

Hello,

Up until a few months ago, I had never heard of Act! before. Not sure if this is a good thing or not but the person that used to support Act! throughout my organization has just left the company and the baton has been passed on to me. I setup a test PC and server to play around with it to get as much knowledge as possible in preparation for the inevitable support calls I’m going to get.

Day 1 and we have a problem already.

I just upgraded a user from Act 16 to 19.2. This upgrade also involved upgrading the Act server client and database. Everything looked to be working well until moving on to the users email preferences. I went to Tools -> Preferences -> E-mail & Outlook Sync Tab -> E-mail system setup to get this configured. To complete the setup it asked me to restart outlook. Now when we start Outlook it never actually opens. It gets stuck on the Outlook splash screen displaying Loading Add-in (1 of 7) Act! Outlook add-in. It will sit like this indefinitely until, I end the Outlook process. Trying to open Outlook again displays a message saying that the Act! Oulook add-in was unable to load.

Disabling the Act! add-in allows Outlook to load fine but as soon as its enabled Outlook will not finish loading. Any ideas?

On a side note:

The event viewer on the server that houses this users database has a bunch of Act.Outlook.Service.Desktop event viewer errors with no further explanation. See screenshot. Could this have something to do with it? Other users connect to this same database without the Outlook problem.

Any help with this would be much appreciated. As a last resort, I will try reinstalling Act when the user has time.

2017-10-19_12-02-40.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help

Richee

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richee
‎10-27-2017 06:15 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Problem opening Outlook. Act 19.2

Another tip:

v16 ist notorious for not uninstalling properly. Eventually you are a victim of a "mixed version" environment. I remember that there is a KB article dealing with that. The article includes a version-specific uninstaller for v16, which I'm ALWAYS using.

After having used the uninstaller and  a mandatory reboot I always check the GAC manually for leftovers of previous versions. I also delete the ACT! "home directory" under program files manually, if it's still there.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

View solution in original post

All Replies
Employee

Hi,

Please see if you have update 3 for 19.  Help> About Act!

Microsoft Outlook synchronization is not working when using Act! with Outlook 2016

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38580/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDk4NjY2NDcxL3NpZC9ObFVXbWdt...

Additional solutions:

Act! icons missing from Microsoft Outlook toolbar

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38580/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDk4NjY2NDcxL3NpZC9ObFVXbWdt...

How do I rebuild the registry keys for the Act! Outlook Addins?

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37189/kw/37189

Solution
Accepted by topic author Richee
‎10-27-2017 06:15 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Another tip:

v16 ist notorious for not uninstalling properly. Eventually you are a victim of a "mixed version" environment. I remember that there is a KB article dealing with that. The article includes a version-specific uninstaller for v16, which I'm ALWAYS using.

After having used the uninstaller and  a mandatory reboot I always check the GAC manually for leftovers of previous versions. I also delete the ACT! "home directory" under program files manually, if it's still there.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de