Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem opening ACT! 2010 database across Wireless network

Problem opening ACT! 2010 database across Wireless network

We have 2 PCS and have recently installed ACT! 2010. The faster of the two, on which our ACT! database is located, has Windows VIsta. The other runs XP Pro and connects using a wireless connection to the Vista machine.

I am able to access most files on the Vista machine from the other with no problem but I cannot open the ACT! database.

The ACT! database is in a folder in the Public folders which are shared. We have both ACT! and ACT! 9.x/2007 set as exceptions to Windows Firewall.

I can log on to the Vista PC and see the file but I cannot open it. I checked the PAD file and it looks to me as if the hostname is correct which was a suggestion I found in another post.

The message I get is:

The database XXXXX could not be accessed. In order to access the database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Can anyone advise me please?

Thank you.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Problem opening ACT! 2010 database across Wireless network

Here is a link to instructions for troubleshooting this message when sharing your database over a network: Database could not be accessed
Greg Martin
Sage