Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem importing .csv files--data not mapping correctly

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problem importing .csv files--data not mapping correctly

Hi there,

using ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1 and trying to import data from an on-line application into ACT. I've mapped all of the fields correctly but data is being put into the wrong fields.This is a very big file, 251 columns (so that would be 251 fields, correct?) with a lot of different information types. I can't seem to figure out why it's not mapping correctly though.

--I removed all the comas from the .csv file and still no luck.

--Then removed all under scores and dashes. Still no luck.

--Tried to remove any foward or backward slashes but with no success.

--Tried to insert a blank column to begin the file and no sucess.

Any ideas? I can also send files if anyone would like to see them.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Problem importing .csv files--data not mapping correctly

Hi Paul,

I had a similar problem, which drove me nuts for about an hour or so...

I discovered the problem was of my own making as two of the fields had the same name. I had Title in twice and it broke the importation system.I suggest you check what you have called all the fields.

Kind regards

Dave 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Thanks for the reply Mike. I'm not very familiar with Excel. What do you mean by "reading it"?

Did some research and tried to import the data from the .csv file with commas already removed to a brand new file. All the data matched up with the right fields in Excel and looked great. Saved this file as book1.csv and tried to import into ACT. Same issue as before. Tried the same process with the .csv file with the extra characters (-,/) removed from the field names. Still no luck.

This really isn't making any sense to me. I look at all the fields in Excel and the data is correct. They are all mapped to go to the correct fields. Why is this not working?

Does anyone have any ideas here? I need to get this project done by the end of the week and this is my last stumbling block.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Paul, Please provide an example of the issue you are describing. Such as, you have mapped the City field in the .csv file to the City field in your database, but the data is ending up in the Country field in my database. Is this correct?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you for the response!

The problem seems to happen around the same point for each contact I've tried to import but when I look at the .csv file, I don't see anything that would explain it. 

I have a field in ACT called, "high school_city" which is suppose to bring the information from the field, "city" in my .csv file. Instead of putting in the data, it gives me the data for another field in the .csv file.

Copper Contributor

If you are getting the error at the same place in the data why don't you try deleting that particular field or the one before it and see what happens.

You may find out of that field or column has an issue and needs tro be reformatted or done manually.

Also could it be as simple as not selecting the proper comma or tab sep value  or could it be whether or not "header row" selected properly?

Sometimes there could be residual invisible data in the fileds like returns, spaces or tabs.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hi Paul,

I had a similar problem, which drove me nuts for about an hour or so...

I discovered the problem was of my own making as two of the fields had the same name. I had Title in twice and it broke the importation system.I suggest you check what you have called all the fields.

Kind regards

Dave 

Hi Dave, Luckily you noticed after an hour or two...I spent a week on this only to find that it was all user error. I had fields with similar names in my database and I selected the wrong ones in certain areas. I also had the same field names in the .csv file which wasn't helping...I figured it all out and was able to do a clean import!

Thank you everyone for your help!