Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem bringing up database

Problem bringing up database

I haveACT! 2011 Premium.  I am moving an ACT! 2000 database to this new environment.  The database has been very active all this time but has never really been maintained.  There are duplicate records, blank records, etc.  The database has over 114,000 entries.

I tried multiple times to let ACT! migrate the database automatically but it did not work.  I was going from one aborted overnight run to another.

The database is relatively simple with only a Contact record and associated User and History records.  I tried exporting from ACT! 2000 and importing into ACT! 2011 and it worked.  We can’t transfer the History records but this was judged a small price to pay.

The database must be on a server.  Given that we were migrating, the database users took advantage of this to add a few fields to the records.  Exporting / Importing still worked OK.  I created a database on my workstation, loaded it with a couple of records.  Next I backed it up and did a recovery on the server.  This worked fine.  Finally I imported the data I had exported from the ACT! 2000 database.  Again this worked fine, the only inconvenience was having to accept the duplicates because the database users wanted to retain them.  It took over 3 hours to load.  Once the database was loaded I tried a few operations (modified the content of some fields, added new Contact records, etc.) and all went well.  I closed the database and exited from ACT!

When I opened the database again, ACT! seemed to go into a loop right after Login.  I turned on Microsoft’s Resource Monitor and noted Network activity to and from the server.  I shut down all programs on my workstation so that all that was running was ACT! and the Resource Monitor.  Network Activity graphically looks like this ^^^^^.  I do wish I could insert a screen shot. 

I let it run.  This went on for over 4 hours and the database was finally available, as if nothing happened. I tried a few operations (modified the content of some fields, added new Contact records, etc.) and all went well.   I closed the database and exited from ACT! When I opened the database again, ACT! went back into a loop right after Login for another 4 hours.   It is almost as if every record was being read.

Any ideas?  Thanks