Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Private activities showing up in Activities report

Copper Contributor

Private activities showing up in Activities report

We are on Act! 2013 Premium, and we started using the out-of-the-box "Activities" report just recently. However the report is pulling up all kinds of activities that are marked as private--I can see them on the report, but when I go to the contact I can't see it (as I would expect from a private activity).

Anyone know why private activities show up in their full glory on the report, regardless of user, or even better how to fix it?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Private activities showing up in Activities report

There isn't a filter available in the ACT! reports to include or exclude private activities A third party report editor can likely provide that option.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Wow. It never occurred to me before now that setting something to "Private" doesn't really make it private at all.

This brings me to my next question--the issue is that recurring activities show up a million times on the "Activities" report when pulling activities scheduled for the future. We thought we could circumvent that by making those recurring items private, but no go. With the recurring activities showing up that report is basically useless because you have to click through 15 pages for each recurring activity.
Copper Contributor

To add:

The only workaround we can come up with is to make a separate activity type and then filter those out of the report. Still doesn't help with the fact that private activites show on the report.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

It sounds like your not setting an end date on you activities and you're not setting a date range filter on the Activities report

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

The recurring activities we generally have end dates way into the future. For example, I have a bunch of to-dos on the first of the month, set to recur every month. Those I have scheduled out to 2020 for now. Other users have weekly tasks scheduled (whether work related or personal, again we thought setting as private wouldn't be an issue) out to 2025 and beyond because they are going to recur indefinitely.

The way the report is being pulled now is Today + Future for the date range, as my supervisor wants to be able to see everything scheduled out even way into the future--for example, our next contact for this person is 6 months out, okay.

Going out a month on the report would certainly help with a lot of the clutter, but in testing this there's still a ton of activities that you have to sift through to find those that actually deal with a customer. I think the best solution for us is going to be creating a new activity type and then switching those recurring administrative tasks. That will allow us to exclude non-customer items from the report, while still allowing my supervisor to see out a year.

Luckily we aren't a large company.

That would be one option for you. A word of caution; when you create the custom activity be sure to edit the default results (Completed, Not Completed) to reflect the name of the custom activity (for example, Administrative Completed).

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129