Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Printing Permissions

Printing Permissions

Does anyone know whether it is possible to restrict what users can print from the database? My concern is that any user can print off the entire database if they have a Standard permission.

I do need the users to be able to enter information onto the database and also to be able to email and write letters to the contacts via the database, however I don't want any Standard user to be able to print the database off as a whole, for example as a complete address book. Is there anyway round this problem?

Many thanks

Kerry

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Printing Permissions

Perhaps a better route is to use Act! Premium and limited access?

This way, only give access to the records a user needs and not the whole database...

Here's just one thought on the effort you mention:  Even if you were successful in locking down every possible place that a user might be able to print a list in the application, the data is still available via the OLE DB provider...

If they are savvy enough, they can just 'hook up' to Act! via Excel or Access or some other OLE DB compliant app, and create a list/report that way...

Keep in mind the real issue you refer to is a people issue, not a technical one.

Re: Printing Permissions

Thanks for your advice. I will look into the limited access option and see how that could work out.

It's difficult to strike the right balance between access that makes the database useful and valuable, the potential risks of the data being misused and trusting the professional integrity of personnel!