Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Printing Envelopes

Printing Envelopes

Hi I am a new member but a very old Act user.  I have a printing question.  When I print enevelopes I have to reflow the doucument each time I create a new file.  Is there any way to specify the page size before I go to print?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Printing Envelopes

Everyone's a new member... the site has only been here for a month :-)

What do you mean "reflow the document"?
What version of ACT! (full build from Help | About)?
What steps do you use to print the envelopes?

Hi Thank you for responding.  I didnt know the site has only been up for a month, in that case I am an act veteran

I print alot of envelopes, when I create my look up and go to view the file the page size selected is 8.5x11 regular paper when it should be 4x10 envelope.  I have to reflow the document in the viewer (I think its an acrobat viewer) and select a 4x10 envelope.  Only then does the file print correctly.

Thanks for your help
Darrel

I should have added I am using Act 2008 v10.  I had this problem in Act 2007 as well.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I'm puzzled by the term you use "reflow the document." Do you mean change the page setup? Are you using the template from File | Print | Envelopes? Could you describe exactly how you print envelopes?

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Sure here is the exact process
Create a lookup
File
Print
Envelopes
a print preview window pops up
When I print that file it does not print correctly

So I must click on the page setup and select Envelope in the paper size drop down
I select Envelope # 10
Act then asks if I want to reflow the document with the new page settings.
I hit yes and then the page reformats

My goal is to avoid this step as I often hit print without this envelope selection process resulting in wasted envelopes and aggravation

Nickel Elite Contributor

Have you tried editing the envelope template and modifying the page setup from there?

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Hi Again Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
The report designer for envelopes is defaulted to letter size paper and is greyed out I cant modify it.
I think you are correct in identifying this but how do I modifty that page setup when it won't let me?

Darrel

Nickel Elite Contributor

I understand your problem now. There are two ways to fix the problem. One is to edit the template and changes the margins in the page setup so that the envelope text now print on the envelope for your printer. The other on involves a simple edit of the envelope template XML code to change the paper type from 8 1/2 x 11 to #10 envelope. I've made that modification and tested it and it works. The problem is that editing the template XML code requires an understanding of XML coding and how it is used in the ACT! report templates.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

I gave up on Act envelopes - just could not get them to work reliably. What I have is Word 2007 templates for my envelopes and aI merge to them - much easier