Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Print postage - online solution

Copper Contributor

Print postage - online solution

Is anyone using an online postage solution, where you can print your own postage from Act?  If anyone has any recommendations on a good solution, I'd love to hear them.  Has anyone used stamps.com?  What was your experience?

Re: Print postage - online solution

I don't know of any postage addon for ACT!.  I know Stamps.com integrates with other Sage products, but I cannot find anything for ACT!.

Maybe another user will know of an addon to print postage from ACT!.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Several years ago, Stamps.com claimed being able to print postage on envelopes printed from the ACT! 5-6 program. When I questioned them they acknowledged that they only were able to print postage on envelopes printed from Word or their own database. While they no longer make the claim of compatibility with the ACT! program, it appears that their envelope printing capabilities haven't changed. While I don't use postage printing software, I also checked another vendor I was familiar with call ENDICIA. They grew out of a company called Envelope Manager Software which sold outstanding envelope printing software which included ZIP code verification. In the past they had connections to several different database programs but it appears that they now depend on third party addons for that functionality.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
TLJ

I got Act 10 so I could manage my direct mail campaigns easier and then print the envelopes from Stamps.com since I had seen a compatibility blurb in their info....however, I later learned it was only earlier versions and the direct print was from Word as someone else mentioned.  We kept at it though and now manage the contacts in Act, entered as groups, and then when a certain group is up for a mailing, we export the group of contacts into csf in Excel and then import that as a new address book in Stamps and print it out.  Seems kind of complicated, but really easy to do and then you have documentation available from any of the programs as to who was mailed when from whichever program you want to print your reports from or archieve the information.  Stamps.com then prints the envelopes with postage and whatever you want in the return address field for that date or any future date.

I've been using ACT2000...heh... and Endicia for years. It was perfect for someone who just prints postage on a single piece basis. The DDE link allowed me to print a single or several 'stamps' as needed. This apparently no longer works on my ACT! 2009!!!!!

Endicia is pointing the finger at Sage and I will be doing more research. This is the sort of small useful feature that big upgrades tend to trash I sure hope I can fix same or bring it back.

DDE Links

I still use an old version of ACT and use the DDE Links.  However it only works for contact fields.  For some reasons I cannot use the DDE links to bring Group fields to either an Excel or Word document.

I was just wondering if you were able to link Group fields?  Thanks

Re: DDE Links

The DDE links date back to ACT! 2 and were carries over, but not expanded, to ACT! 3. Actual support for the DDE links was dropped at ACT! 5 but the links were not removed. DDE links are not available in ACT! 2005 and later.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The point being that snail mail is still in use and current  versions of ACT! are deficient in this. How hard can it be to get the DDE link working for the occasional piece of mail?

DDE is very old technology, dating from Windows 2. While Windows XP still supported it but Vista does not. ACT! supports the OLEDB interface and a very good question would be, why hasn't Endicia updated to the OLEDB interface which is the main one used today.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'll ask.