Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Primary Filegroup is full

Primary Filegroup is full

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Get the following message while trying to open our database:

Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.CTL_SYNCROW_DELETE'.'CTL_SYNCROW_DELETE_PK' in database 'Doramics' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. create discspace by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

After reading some posts I accessed ACTDIAG on the server and tried to carry out a Check, Repair & Reindex on the database.

When I selected Check/Repair I received the following meassage on both occasions -

Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.CTL_EVENTLOG'.'CTL_EVENTLOG_IF1' in database 'Doramics' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. create discspace by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowthon for existing files in the filegroup.

However after a while i received a message saying task was complete.

When I selected Reindex I received the following meassage -

Could not allocate a new page for database 'Doramics' because of insufficient disc space in filegroup 'PRIMARY'. Create the necessary space by dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup. The statement has been terminated.

This task did not appear to take place.

Microsoft XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199

Database ADF File 4,180,352KB

Database ALF File 1,024KB

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Primary Filegroup is full

Hello Eganfg,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

How large are the ADF and ALF files associated with your database?

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for the welcome.

ADF File 4,180,352KB

ALF File 1,024KB

Regards

Frank

You'll want to verify the version of SQL 2005 you have installed.  It appears you have 'Express', which has a 4gb limit on database size.  If that is correct, you will need to install the 'Standard' version of SQL which has an unlimited db size (ADF).

You would need to uninstall the 2005 Express ACT7 instance, install SQL 2005 Standard and use the following article to create the ACT7 instance: KB Article 19231

Another option is to upgrade to Sage ACT! 2013, which uses SQL 2008 R2 Express with a limit of 10gb.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

I managed to restore a back-up of my batabase which allowed access.

I deleted all data over 1 year old but the database still remains the same size.

Under Tools - I selected Lock Database and then Check & Repair.

I get a Database Checkup Error - An error has been found. for thid to be fixed a database lock will have to be applied would you like to repair the database?

I select Yes - almost immediately I receive the following warning : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I then get chucked back to the log in screen??

To try and reduce the size after removing old data, you can try the reindex function through ACTDiag.  Here is an article with instructions:  KB Article 26854

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Not sure which end of me is up at the moment!!!

So I would like to approach this problem from afresh.

I know the database will fall over if I continue to use because of space issues although I also think there is some corruption with the database.

I have restored a saved version of the database

ADF File - 4,180,352 KB

ALF File - 8,704 KB

Do I - through actdiag reindex etc on the server or do i delete old data first.

Cheers

Fran

Since you are working with a backup, and can easily restore it again - I would try the reindex first, before creating a lot of work for it by removing old data.

The reindex should help remove the 'voids' in the database created by data being deleted/changed.

If the reindex will run, I would then remove a small amount of old data and attempt the reindex again. If successful, continue with removing data in small increments.

Also check the size of the ADF after running the reindex, to see if it is reducing the size.
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Again - appreciate your advice.

Ran Check and Repair under the Tools-Database Maintenance option.

I did not lock the database.

After a while - received the following message:

An error has been found. For this to be fixed a database lock will need to be applied would you like to repair the database.

I select yes and for a while a "Working" icon appears and then the ACT screen clears.

Unfortunately I only now notice another warning box with the following message:

Object Reference not set to an instance of an object.

I click OK and the logon screen presents itself.

Click OK and get the following message:

A repair database lock has been placed on this database.

Click OK and once again I am on a greyed out Act screen with the top blue bar indicating that the Doramics Database is locked.

Not sure if anything is going on in the backround......

Next?????

Did you try running the Reindex through ACTDiag?

Unfortunately there aren't many options, the database is at the limits for SQL Express. If you happen to have access to a computer with SQL Standard on it, you could install ACT! > copy the database over and perform maintenance - with the idea of reducing the size of the db files (ADF). If it can be reduced, you could then back it up and restore it on the original computer.

Considering that you have already reached the limit of Express, you may hit it again soon (if able to reduce the db). So in the long run, the best option may be to upgrade to SQL Standard.

Another option to try: Create an Empty copy of your current database (File > Save Copy As > Empty copy), then import the original database into the new one. The import will rewrite the data and the expectation is that the new copy will be reduced in size. Note that an import of a database with a size of 4gb is going to take a long time.
Greg Martin
Sage