Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Prevent Users from editing Other users contact records

Copper Contributor

Prevent Users from editing Other users contact records

I have users on Act Premium V17.  What they are doing is completely user error, and no matter how many times I tell them what they are doing they cannot correct it so i would like some help to try to prevent them from doing this.  What is happening is that Users in my organization are for some reason going into other users contact records and changing the contact name.  What this is doing is actually changing the User contact name in manage users.  They are not doing it on purpose to be rebels, they just are not understanding.  I was hoping that maybe there is some way that i can lock the contact records of users within my act database to only be editable by administrators, and themselves.  As it is now, and standard user can change details of any other user.  Is this possible?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Prevent Users from editing Other users contact records

You will need a custom addon to prevent them from editing other contact records.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Do you have any recommendations of any add-ons that might do this?

Silver Super Contributor

There are addons that will switch to a different layout based on the contents of a field so you could use the ID/Status field to define a record as a user record and then have it switch to a layout that says "Don't edit this record!!!" if your users are doing it unintentionally.  If they are doing it intentionally then you'd probably have to have a custom addon written.  I did something similar a while back that basically said if the user modified a specific field don't let them leave the contact.  That same method could probably be used to prevent them from editing a user.  This isn't something that comes up often.  It's usually just a training issue but if you want me to create a plugin that will prevent them from doing it I can probably do it.  If you're interested contact me offline.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!